PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad Source-Code Within 12 Months

fluteflute
July 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
There has been much criticism of Launchpad for being proprietary software, Mark Shuttleworth has stated the source code will be made available (the launchpad code on launchpad :D) although it is not clear under what license.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwOA

poofyhairguy
July 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
There has been much criticism of Launchpad for being proprietary software, Mark Shuttleworth has stated the source code will be made available (the launchpad code on launchpad :D) although it is not clear under what license.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYwOA

Sweet. This is the last holdout of the Ubuntu world.

keiichidono
July 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Sweet. This is the last holdout of the Ubuntu world.
What's the big deal? I don't see one.

LaRoza
July 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
What's the big deal? I don't see one.

Some people gripe and carry on about launchpad's source not being available as if it were depriving them of essential freedoms...

wrtpeeps
July 23rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Some people gripe and carry on about launchpad's source not being available as if it were depriving them of essential freedoms...

:lolflag:

shifty2
July 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
I always wonder how many of the people who whinge about source code being available, actually make use of it once it is available.

wrtpeeps
July 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
I always wonder how many of the people who whinge about source code being available, actually make use of it once it is available.

A small % I'd guess. People just like to whinge sometimes.

Canis familiaris
July 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM

A few of them but the benefits go to far more people

az
July 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM

Most people who benefit from freedom of the press are not journalists.

It's the same thing. The benefits of Software Freedom are very important to the end-users of the code even if they do not develop software themselves.

But Launchpad is a web service. It's not the same thing as software that runs in/on your computer. That's why there is a difference when it comes to the source code.

If you needed to run software on your computer to use Launchpad, there would be a justifiable reason to want the source code. In that case, you would want the code to be available so that people could improve it.

However, there is only one instance of Launchpad running. Having more than one Launchpad would be contrary to the purpose it is trying to serve; to be a centralized one-stop-shop for collaborating on code.

fluteflute
August 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
http://popey.com/Launchpad_to_go_Open_Source_by_next_OSCon (Identi.ca in Gwibber)

Thats 2009-07-20 apparently. (Which is no more that we knew before, but hey...)