PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] triple boot with 2 HD

squir
July 23rd, 2008, 06:56 AM
I have 2 SATA 150GB HD. I divided them into partitions 40/40/10/30/30 and formatted to NTFS. I put WinXP on C on first HD with only first HD connected. Then disconnected HD and connected 2nd HD installing Vista enterprise on C. Next connected both HD and tried installing ubuntu 8.04. I had to install manually to get it to install on Disk 2 on last partition but instructed to put swap on first HD on partition with only 10GB. I requested ext 3 journaling file system and put mount point /

When it finished installing it notified “unable to install GRUB in (hd0). Executing grub-install (hd0) failed. This is a fatal error. Internal error. Failed to initialize HAL.” Now the swap partition is hidden.

Now it boots directly to winxp without asking.
1- Please tell me if there is a way to correct the GRUB and how to do it in detail.
2- If I must I will reinstall vista and try again with ubuntu but how can I get the swap partition back that it setup and hid. How do I let GRUB install to MBR. Please be specific for a newbie.
Thanks to all

logos34
July 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
This thread may help you solve the problem:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902

squir
July 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
If possible I would like to correct or reinstall the grub.
Can anyone help with that?

logos34
July 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
If possible I would like to correct or reinstall the grub.
Can anyone help with that?

see link in my sig

Otherwise mount your root partition on the live cd and post your /boot/grub/menu.lst and

sudo fdisk -l