PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cron appears to be messed up (E: cron: subprocess post-installation script returned e

bujutsukai
July 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
So, my last couple of attempted updates (update manager) have thrown the following error:

E: cron: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

The first time I saw this error was after trying to install Adeona, an open source program written to help recover lost/stolen laptops. There is a need to make a cronjob to set the program to run at reboot. I could never get the line to stick in the Cron file, but now I'm getting the above error. I tried reinstalling Cron from the Synaptic package manager, but that also throws the above error message.

This is what is listed (nothing) when I type "sudo crontab -e" in terminal:

# m h dom mon dow command

I'm not sure what to do at this point and could sure use some help. I believe this will continue to have an adverse affect on further update attempts.

The attached screenshot show my last Update attempt with the cron error.

Please help.

ahmedh
July 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I need help with this too. I have the exact same problem for the same reason (Adeona).

MJN
July 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Whilst not fixing your problem, a workaround for running Adeona at reboot is to put the advised crontab line (without the @reboot prefix) into /etc/rc.local

That said, I'm not getting any joy with Adeona - it keeps failing after a variable amount of time with a Segmentation Fault. Have you guys had any trouble with it (aside from editing your crontab for it of course)?

Mathew