PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sreen brightness

Joseph5000
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM
How and where can I adjust my screen brightness. I have the same Ubuntu upgrade on my desktop, and it's way brighter. Additionally, the laptop I am talking about doesn't change brightness in regards to battery or AC power.
Any ideas out there??
thanks a lot

Joseph5000
July 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
How and where can I adjust my screen brightness. I have the same Ubuntu upgrade on my desktop, and it's way brighter. Additionally, the laptop I am talking about doesn't change brightness in regards to battery or AC power.
Any ideas out there??
thanks a lot

Locutus_of_Borg
July 23rd, 2008, 04:30 AM
gnome-power-settings
and/or

gnome-power-manager
should give you screen brightness options

does your laptop not have a hardware key for this?

example: Fn + F8 adjusts my screen brightness

Joseph5000
July 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
gnome-power-settings
and/or

gnome-power-manager

Thanks a lot, but Fn+F8 doesn't do anything. And where do I put the other commands??

a0u
July 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
There's a convenient Brightness Applet (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Applets) that lets you adjust the brightness of the backlight via a slider. Simply right-click on a panel and select "Add to Panel" to find it.

And where do I put the other commands??
Enter the commands inside a terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal) - go to "Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal". Alternatively, you can access the GNOME Power Management through "System -> Preferences -> Power Management", but that's probably not what you are looking for...

Locutus_of_Borg
July 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
open a terminal and input each of those commands

a new window will open with options for screen brightness when on AC power or battery power

Fn+F8 ws just an example for my laptop, yours likely has something different

Joseph5000
July 23rd, 2008, 04:41 AM
Found applet, but doesn't respond. When I move the mouse over it says "can not get laptop panel brightness"

a0u
July 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Found applet, but doesn't respond. When I move the mouse over it says "can not get laptop panel brightness"

Apparently, the brightness applet doesn't work for all laptops (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=559528). But, as Locutus_of_Borg said, your laptop would likely have some brightness keys built in, but this varies from model to model. Try doing an Internet search.

Joseph5000
July 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks a lot

a0u
July 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks a lot
Did you get it to work? For example, on my Dell laptop, the key combination is Fn + Arrow Up/Down. If not, can you post some information about your laptop model?

ConMan318
July 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
Right-click the top panel, then click 'add to panel'. Then add the 'brightness applet'.

As far as power saving goes (which I assume you are referring to), System > Prefs > Power Management has settings for both AC power and battery power. If you want the screen to dim when on battery power, click the 'on battery power' tab and check/uncheck the bottom options as you see fit to dim it when unplugged.

sdennie
July 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Threads merged. Please don't double post.

deadlySniper
July 23rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
What type of laptop do you use?

omnibot
July 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have the exact same problem. I have keys on my lappy for screen brightness that do not work.

the applet does nothing and i get the same error message.

it's some kind of acpi problem that i have no idea how to fix.

i'm on a compaq (hp) c700 with an ATI graphics card

the_fury
November 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
gnome-power-settings
and/or

gnome-power-manager

These don't work. Example:

thefury@Upstairs-Laptop:~$ gnome-power-settings
bash: gnome-power-settings: command not found