PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] [SOLVED] Places applet on launcher bar not reading from ~/.gtk-bookmarks

firstguythere
July 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm trying xubuntu for the first time (I've used Ubuntu for 6 months or so now) and am trying to add some custom bookmarks to the Places applet/menu (xfce4-places-plugin) that comes default with xubuntu hardy. I log in as "bob" and have added "/home/bob/Pictures" minus the " to ~/.gtk-bookmarks

When I click on the places menu/applet it does not show the added location, however if I open a file browser window the new location DOES show up in the bookmark frame.

What am I missing to make the location appear in the Places menu/applet as well?

firstguythere
July 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Solved it! As suspected it was a user error. As per this link http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-40603.html
local file locations need to be formatted as file:///YOURLOCATION NameofLocation not just ///YOURLOCATION (though this does work when browsing with thunar

So after two days work all I had to do was add "file:////home/bob/Pictures Pictures" to "~/.gtk-bookmarks" less the quotes and the shortcut now works.

VitaLiNux
July 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Good, Mate! Would you please mark this thread as Solved?:popcorn:

firstguythere
July 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Good, Mate! Would you please mark this thread as Solved?:popcorn:
I'm new to this forum too, how do I mark this post as solved properly?

firstguythere
July 23rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
I'm new to this forum too, how do I mark this post as solved properly?
Figured that out too.