PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I reinstall ubuntu from a disk without loosing my settings & data?

fogelfink
July 22nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
It might sound a bit stupid, but I need some advice on how to reinstall ubuntu.

I have basically destroyed my ALSA by installing OSS, which didn't work for me - and after numerous attempts of fixing it, I have been told that the only way to fix it is a clean fresh install of Ubuntu. [http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5437671&postcount=292]
I am coming round to that idea (I tried reinstalling a fresh kernel, which didn't help) - so now I wonder how I can do that with some sort of backup.

I would like to install Ubuntu Studio (Hardy), but am currently using the regular Ubuntu (Hardy). I would like to keep my personal settings such as evolution mail settings, firefox bookmarks, tomboy notes, etc. AND of course my files in the home directory (lots of graphics and music stuff, so it's about 110GB!!). What I don't want to back up is my screwed sound settings.

Do I make some sort of backup (if yes how?) and then create a new Ubuntu Studio partition without erasing the existing Ubuntu partition and then drag my home direcory files (graphics and music) somehow into my new home directory (if so, how?), while using the backup for the settings. And last try to erase the old and faulty Ubuntu partition?

OR, do I have to get all my data from the home directory shifted onto an external harddrive, then make a backup of the settings and finally install Ubuntu Studio with reformatting the harddrive? Could I then use some form of settings backup to get the data from evolution etc back into the new system, while simply shifting my home directory files back onto the internal drive?

OR, worst case scenario, do I have to reconfigure my mail accounts, address book, bookmarks, etc. because I use a different distro of ubuntu?

Your advice is appreciated.

Xerp
July 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
This should help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/SimpleBackupSuite

mkvnmtr
July 23rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
I am sure someone else knows more than I do about this but last night I reinstalled 7.04 over 7.10 when the upgrade did not go well. The installer asked me if I wanted to migrate any accounts. I didn't but assume thats what you are asking about.

YaroMan86
July 23rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
My recommended way is putting your /home on its own partition, and regularly copying key configuration files from /etc onto that same partition.

You'll retain all your documents and local user settings, and, provided you copy the /etc files back, the same system configuration.

sdowney717
July 23rd, 2008, 12:09 AM
I have been wondering about this.
Your /home partition contains all your stuff like bookmarks etc...
Can you just copy this over and then setup a new user using this folder?

Xerp
July 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Yes, I regularly keep backups of my home directory and restore parts from it. I've never done a total restore that way though, just the particular item I wanted.

loboc
July 23rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
It might sound a bit stupid, but I need some advice on how to reinstall ubuntu.

I have basically destroyed my ALSA by installing OSS, which didn't work for me - and after numerous attempts of fixing it, I have been told that the only way to fix it is a clean fresh install of Ubuntu. [http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5437671&postcount=292]
I am coming round to that idea (I tried reinstalling a fresh kernel, which didn't help) - so now I wonder how I can do that with some sort of backup.

I would like to install Ubuntu Studio (Hardy), but am currently using the regular Ubuntu (Hardy). I would like to keep my personal settings such as evolution mail settings, firefox bookmarks, tomboy notes, etc. AND of course my files in the home directory (lots of graphics and music stuff, so it's about 110GB!!). What I don't want to back up is my screwed sound settings.

Do I make some sort of backup (if yes how?) and then create a new Ubuntu Studio partition without erasing the existing Ubuntu partition and then drag my home direcory files (graphics and music) somehow into my new home directory (if so, how?), while using the backup for the settings. And last try to erase the old and faulty Ubuntu partition?

OR, do I have to get all my data from the home directory shifted onto an external harddrive, then make a backup of the settings and finally install Ubuntu Studio with reformatting the harddrive? Could I then use some form of settings backup to get the data from evolution etc back into the new system, while simply shifting my home directory files back onto the internal drive?

OR, worst case scenario, do I have to reconfigure my mail accounts, address book, bookmarks, etc. because I use a different distro of ubuntu?

Your advice is appreciated.

All of your settings and data should be in your home directory unless you were hacking around in /etc to configure something. So plug a USB drive in and copy the whole thing over to the USB stick, clean install and copy it back. Things that aren't stored in ~/ that you may have configured with a gui tool that come to mind are samba and NFS shares but how many of those can you have.

loboc
July 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have been wondering about this.
Your /home partition contains all your stuff like bookmarks etc...
Can you just copy this over and then setup a new user using this folder?

try it: fire up a terminal and do a

sudo adduser newguy

sudo cp -R /home/oldguy /home/newguy/

cd /home

sudo chown -R newguy ./newguy

sudo chgrp -R newguy ./newguy

I never have but I think thats all thats to it. If you set up a skeleton directory you can use the adduser.conf to determine which files would be in there from the start and avoid the chgrp and chown

ace007
July 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Here is an excellent guide for migrating your current /home folder to a new partition. Once your home is on a new partition you can just install with a new Ubuntu. In step 4 when it asks you to choose a partition, DO NOT CHOOSE GUIDED. Select the manual option and then set your new home partition to mount at "/home"

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

bodhi.zazen
July 23rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
try it: fire up a terminal and do a

sudo adduser newguy

sudo cp -R /home/oldguy /home/newguy/

cd /home

sudo chown -R newguy ./newguy

sudo chgrp -R newguy ./newguy

I never have but I think thats all thats to it. If you set up a skeleton directory you can use the adduser.conf to determine which files would be in there from the start and avoid the chgrp and chown

Well, not quite *that* simple, lol

If you are moving /home , follow a tutorial

http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/01/29/move-home-to-its-own-partition/

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

sdowney717
July 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
I have gone thru 3 distribution upgrades and the last 2 upgrades, I had no problems. I did not have to wipe it and start fresh, so losing /home has not yet been an issue.
Some music, video, bookmarks and a few programs is all I care to keep backed up. My mail is hotmail so it is on the web.
If keeping /home in its own partition is preferable, why is this not the default on an install?

bodhi.zazen
July 23rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
I have gone thru 3 distribution upgrades and the last 2 upgrades, I had no problems. I did not have to wipe it and start fresh, so losing /home has not yet been an issue.
Some music, video, bookmarks and a few programs is all I care to keep backed up. My mail is hotmail so it is on the web.
If keeping /home in its own partition is preferable, why is this not the default on an install?

Because it depends on who you ask, lol.

IMO a /home is not preferable, I prefer a /data partition. /home then has a bunch of config files, none of which are particularly valuable (IMHO).

You then

ln -s /data/music /home/user/music

and on ...