PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] (initramfs) prompt during install Ubuntu 8.04 - HELP please

linuxnewbee
July 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
:lolflag:
I am trying something new (Ubuntu 8.04) to broaden my horizons. I have a PC with sufficient hardware to run Ubuntu 8.04 and began loading earlier today from a CD .iso image that I created.
I was only a few minutes into the install and I am now sitting at a (initramfs) prompt w/ no idea how to proceed.

Can someone help this linuxnewbee?

bodhi.zazen
July 22nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Either you have a bad .iso, bad burn, or your hardware is not being recognized ...

Check the CD -> reboot and test install media. You may need to test the Cd on another computer.

linuxnewbee
July 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well, I had success installing on a different computer two weeks ago, where WinXP was already installed. I had zero problems.
Now, when I attempt to install on a similar PC, the software appears to be loading and then i get the following message...

"Busybox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)"

Today I ran the option at the Ubuntu install menu for "Check CD for defects" and received the above again....

Is it suppose to be this difficult? I know others have had similar installation issues...someone has got to know how to work around this....

linuxnewbee
July 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Disregard my recent pleadings for assistance. I have had no luck in finding an answer to my issue and I don't have forever to wait.
I now realize why Bill Gates has a corner on the OS market. This linux crap has some real compatibility issues. As for the Free Support regarding Linux...I guess the old saying still stands "Nothing in life is free". If you want help, you WILL PAY!

thx 4 nuthin':mad:

bodhi.zazen
July 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Disregard my recent pleadings for assistance. I have had no luck in finding an answer to my issue and I don't have forever to wait.
I now realize why Bill Gates has a corner on the OS market. This linux crap has some real compatibility issues. As for the Free Support regarding Linux...I guess the old saying still stands "Nothing in life is free". If you want help, you WILL PAY!

thx 4 nuthin':mad:

Ouch, I hear your frustration.

As I said, the most common problem in your situation is a bad CD. If the CD is good, then you are looking at a hardware problem.

Could you post what kind of hard ware you are trying to install on ?

Please keep in mind, we are all volunteers ...