PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Gnome panel - getting rid of the 'move' bars

m_ad
July 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to minimize my desktop space by thinning down a gnome-panel. After customizing a panel the way I like it, it looks ugly because of the thick grey "move" bars on the far left and far right of the panel (I've unchecked the "Expand" option in the Preferences).

Check the screenshot for what I'm talking about. Is there any way to get rid of these?

(Sorry for the bad quality jpeg, still learning gimp :))

bumanie
July 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
You can right click on the bars, go into properties and change the bars to 'autohide' - not sure if that's what you are after or not.

mcduck
July 22nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Sorry, but no. At least apart from learning to program, downloading the source code and editing it to get rid of the panel handles.. ;)

But you could try enabling the panel hide buttons, if you keep button arrows disabled it might look at least a bit better.

m_ad
July 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
You can right click on the bars, go into properties and change the bars to 'autohide' - not sure if that's what you are after or not.

This actually only auto-hides the entire panel.

The grey bars on the side allow you to right click it for the Propertes/Add to panel.. etc but it looks kind of tacky.

m_ad
July 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I didn't think there was a way :( It just makes a minimal panel look tacky. I might as well just stick with the all grey panel and ditch the transparency or bg image.