PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing ATI Drivers

damonjablons
July 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
hey forumers,

sorry if you've seen this post a million times, i just can't seem to find something that tells me how to do this.

i just went through the steps of re-compiling my kernel just in order to get my Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard to work. since i've rebooted, i've lost my ATI drivers.

how do i reinstall them? thanks in advance!

-damon

Thingymebob
July 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu Always works for me

damonjablons
July 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
I tried following that wiki, but my graphics card is still not being used :(. and of course, when i restarted, my sound card stopped working as well!!!

so, to recap:

I need help installing the driver for my ATI videocard

and

I need help installing the driver for my Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard (which stopped working after a reboot!)

Troll_the_Great
July 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
For the ATI drivers you can try EnvyNG. Open a terminal and type:

sudo aptitude install envyng-gtk.
After that you can find it in Applications-System Tools-EnvyNG.
Start it and it will automatically install the drivers for you.
I don't know how to help you regarding the sound problem.
Cheers!

S1xp4ck
July 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
I tried following that wiki, but my graphics card is still not being used :(. and of course, when i restarted, my sound card stopped working as well!!!

so, to recap:

I need help installing the driver for my ATI videocard

and

I need help installing the driver for my Sound Blaster X-Fi soundcard (which stopped working after a reboot!)

I had a problem with the audio driver included with my ATI HD card defaulting over my Soundblaster Audigy. I am curious to see if you are having a similar problem. Could you open terminal and type

cat /proc/asound/modules

and paste the result here please? Your Ati driver will have to be installed to see if this is indeed the problem.

damonjablons
July 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
For the ATI drivers you can try EnvyNG. Open a terminal and type:

sudo aptitude install envyng-gtk.
After that you can find it in Applications-System Tools-EnvyNG.
Start it and it will automatically install the drivers for you.
I don't know how to help you regarding the sound problem.
Cheers!

After installing the drivers using Envy, I reinstalled the sound drivers and everything seems to be working now. I appreciate the help!