PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Ubuntu be installed without an OS already installed?

juntjoo
July 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
The answer to this question must be common sense because I couldn't find anything that addressed this question anywhere. So excuse my newbieness but I made the CD and tried to run it on my OS'less computer but it wouldn't read it. It never found the CD though it did show the boot from cd message. So I'm wondering if in fact the CD (image) I got from here is meant to be used to install Ubuntu from an OS'less comp or ontop of windows only and if so then what could be wrong with my CD or me? Thanks

Pumalite
July 22nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Al you need is a formatted drive and enough memory. Would help to know your memory and graphics to advice you on what iso to use.

kellemes
July 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
The answer to this question must be common sense because I couldn't find anything that addressed this question anywhere. So excuse my newbieness but I made the CD and tried to run it on my OS'less computer but it wouldn't read it. It never found the CD though it did show the boot from cd message. So I'm wondering if in fact the CD (image) I got from here is meant to be used to install Ubuntu from an OS'less comp or ontop of windows only and if so then what could be wrong with my CD or me? Thanks

What cd are you trying to boot from?
Also you may have burned the disc the wrong way?
See for more info.. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

adrien214
July 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
hmmm... how did you -make- the cd ? did you burn it as an image ? and check the boot order from your bios. Any ubuntu cd will boot in a small menu where you can choose what you want to do / live session, cd check, install...
edit> smbdy posted at the same time, sry

ajgreeny
July 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
If you can find another computer, have a look to see what files are on the CD. If there is just a ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso as a single file, it will never boot. You need to burn that file as a CD image which will put a number of folders and files on to the CD. Then it should boot in your computer and you should be able to install the operating system.

juntjoo
July 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
wow, thanks for all of your responses.

my cd image I downloaded a while ago so I will download the latest one and take all of your tips into consideration and post my results. I just wanted to make sure it was possible cuz I had not read anything other than installing it through windows.