View Full Version : [ubuntu] Custom Application Launcher

July 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have a program that is located in my documents and I want to make an application launcher for it, but when I browse and find the file and put gksudo in front of it and try to get it to come up it asks for my password but doesn't open the program after. (the program is weird and requires me to run sudo for it to work) So what am I doing wrong?

July 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
On the desktop right click and then select Create Launcher the new window will ask for a description enter something then click Browse to go to the application that you wish to launch once that's done there will be a small icon on the desktop normally looks like a spring with a board on it clicking this will launch the application.

Hope that helps...

July 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
I've tried that, and thats where the problem comes in, when I click it for it to launch the program the program does not launch.

July 23rd, 2008, 12:17 AM

July 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
What is the program you are trying to launch? it may be a path issue or you may need additional parameters.

Tim Sharitt
July 23rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm just throwing this out there. Is the command something like

gksudo ~/Documents/program
If so it needs to be

gksu /home/USERNAME/Documents/program

July 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
You might try moving into your system path. If you cp the file to /usr/bin, you could just type in the command "gksudo" + application name.

July 23rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Is the program set as executable?

chmod +x program

July 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
the program is stepmania, a DDR simulator for the computer.

I have a whole folder for it but I just put it into the documents folder. There is an executable but the only way I get it to run normally is sudo ./stepmania through terminal when I'm in the folder.

EDIT: Problem solved there was spaces in one of the folder names and it was causing it to not read properly so when I changed the name of the folder it is working now. Thanks all.

Tim Sharitt
July 23rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Are you giving the full path in the launcher?

July 23rd, 2008, 12:51 AM
If you're not giving it the full path name then you could just create a symlink in /bin to the folder.

sudo ln -s /fullpath/to/executable /bin/stepmainia