PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot download libpoppler-qt2

herold
July 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on a USB hard drive that I use for running Ubuntu while leaving Windows XP unchanged on the internal hard drive on my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop. A few days ago, I purchased a new third edition of The Official Ubuntu Book, and saw a paragraph on "Can I Switch to Kubuntu If I have Ubuntu Installed Already?" on page 275. I used Synaptic Package Manager and found kubuntu-desktop. I selected it, and then "Mark additional required changes." I selected Mark. It showed "216 to install/upgrade." I clicked Apply. I went away while the files downloaded. When I came back, there was a message, "Some of the packages could not be retrieved from the server(s). Do you wish to continue, ignoring the packages?" I clicked Yes. "An error occured" W: Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/p/poppler/libpoppler-qt2_0.6.4-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.46 80]
I again tried marking packages to be upgraded, and it showed three (rather than the 216 when I started), kdegraphics-kfile-plugins, kubuntu-desktop, and libpoppler-qt2. I got the same error message that it couldn't fetch libpoppler-qt2. I tried a couple of more times, with the same result. Evidently the libpoppler-qt2 isn't available any more.

What should I do now? Might the missing file be available somewhere else?

tech0007
July 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Change the mirror by going to System->Administration->Software sources. Then try synaptic package manager again.

herold
July 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Change the mirror by going to System->Administration->Software sources. Then try synaptic package manager again.
Thanks, it worked! I went from the us source to the main source, and was able to download everything and install it. I can now run either ubuntu or kubuntu, depending on the option I select on the opening screen.