PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Pangolin or Serval ?

thebinaryblob
July 22nd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I am going to be buying my first laptop from System76 sometime in the next couple of weeks, and I am having trouble deciding between the Pangolin and Serval.

With a Core 2 Duo added to the Pangolin, the only difference between it and the Serval is the screen resolution and battery life (and $130). As I plan on using it for taking notes, gaming, programming, and schoolwork, I am worried that the graphics card wont be able to handle running the latest Sauerbraten and Spring at high settings with a larger screen, and that i would have to turn off things like anti-aliasing, making the graphics less smooth, which kind-of defeats the purpose of having a high-res screen :) . Also, would it be possible to have two 80-character columns of text (with a reasonable font size) on the 1280x800 screen the pangolin has, as I would find this very useful when coding.

Some other things I am worrying about:
will the battery life vary very much between them with all the power-saving features like CPU scaling, or will it not be that much of a difference?
The 6-cell Pangolin has a better estimated battery life than the 9-cell Serval, is this related to the screen, the CPU, or both? Will a Pangolin with a core 2 Duo have a similar battery life to the Serval?

also, how hot do these two laptops get?, does anyone have any numbers I could compare? I am counting on being able to use it almost anywhere, I just dont want to get burned.

And finally, I have 2 cats, they always run from point A to point B as fast as they possibly can, and it is quite entertaining watching them slip on smooth surfaces :popcorn: , at least if they dont knock anything down. Since this laptop is going to be a very large investment for me (I am still in high school), will it survive a short fall, or various other bumps (like a cat running into it at full speed :) ) that will occur at home and at school?

thomasaaron
July 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
First, see this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=844737&highlight=serval+pangolin

I am worried that the graphics card wont be able to handle running the latest Sauerbraten and Spring at high settings with a larger screen, and that i would have to turn off things like anti-aliasing, making the graphics less smooth, which kind-of defeats the purpose of having a high-res screen

Both the pangolin and serval have the 8600M GT nVidia cards. If those don't do the trick, I'm not sure what will. But I'm not a gamer. 76ers?

Will the battery life vary very much between them with all the power-saving features like CPU scaling, or will it not be that much of a difference?

It will help somewhat to run the power-saving features. I don't have any exact metrics on these two models at the moment, but based on past experience with similar models, it should give give you an extra half-hour or so.

The 6-cell Pangolin has a better estimated battery life than the 9-cell Serval, is this related to the screen, the CPU, or both?

Both.

And finally, I have 2 cats, they always run from point A to point B as fast as they possibly can, and it is quite entertaining watching them slip on smooth surfaces , at least if they dont knock anything down. Since this laptop is going to be a very large investment for me (I am still in high school), will it survive a short fall, or various other bumps (like a cat running into it at full speed ) that will occur at home and at school?

Is that something you really intend to put to the test? :lolflag: User-inflicted (or user's-cat-inflicted) damage would not be covered under warranty. But they are fairly rugged. Also, the Serval's finish is beautiful. I'd definitely want to protect it from drops and cats.

thebinaryblob
July 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Is that something you really intend to put to the test? User-inflicted (or user's-cat-inflicted) damage would not be covered under warranty. But they are fairly rugged. Also, the Serval's finish is beautiful. I'd definitely want to protect it from drops and cats.

No, I dont plan on actually testing that :) . I just want to make sure that I am getting a laptop that will last, as this is the first one ill have ever owned, and only the second prebuilt computer (my dad usually builds all of our computers). I dont really know what to expect. I hear that laptops, especially the screens and cases get damaged fairly easily.:confused:

the Serval's finish seems very nice, but I might not be able to get a Serval in the end, as I dont want to take too much from my stash.

Do you have any idea how much having a Core 2 Duo in a Pangolin instead of the Celeron Dual core would reduce the battery life?

thomasaaron
July 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I don't have any metrics on that. But, not very much.

osx424242
July 23rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Here's a screenshot from my Pangolin: some overlapping may be required. It's alright for occasional programming, but I do prefer my at-work environment (which does also have a second monitor, larger keyboard, more desk space...). Note I have _not_ tried changing any fonts or font sizes at all -- I believe these are all the default sizes; a slight overlapping has worked well enough for me that I haven't tried anything yet to improve the situation.

My Pangolin was also my very first laptop. I'm pretty happy with it :). But, as I mentioned, it's my first so I can't really compare it to others.

steveneddy
July 30th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Go for the Serval. You will be happier in the long run.

thebinaryblob
August 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Well, I still haven't bought my laptop yet, and the new Pangolin seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I used one of my relatives' MacBooks (my family are mostly Mac users :rolleyes: ) to try JEdit on the 1280x800 screen and found that I could use two columns w/line numbering and a docked sidekick window, even though I had to set the font fairly small. The MacBook had a 13.3" screen, and was barely readable, so I figure the 15.4" Pangolin will be okay :) .

I also tried running a few games like Sauerbraten to test its integrated graphics chip, an old GMA 950, and it ran them sufficiently. I figure that with the new Montevina core 2 duo and the X4500HD should be able to run most anything I want to run nicely.

I look forward to getting a System76 Pangolin Performance Laptop :cool: even though im not sure I like the white, oh well :lolflag:

p.s. is the Pangolin now technically a Centrino 2 Duo (most companies tend to loudly display this) and has all intel chips from wireless to CPU to GPU, or does this mean something else? :confused:

p.p.s. does the new Pangolin have a slot for a kensington lock?

Bllz
August 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM
No, I dont plan on actually testing that :) . I just want to make sure that I am getting a laptop that will last, as this is the first one ill have ever owned, and only the second prebuilt computer (my dad usually builds all of our computers). I dont really know what to expect. I hear that laptops, especially the screens and cases get damaged fairly easily.:confused:

the Serval's finish seems very nice, but I might not be able to get a Serval in the end, as I dont want to take too much from my stash.

Do you have any idea how much having a Core 2 Duo in a Pangolin instead of the Celeron Dual core would reduce the battery life?

Mine survived a mailing disaster (I'll spare everybody the details) in which one of the corners was beat up real bad. System76 fixed it up and now I can barely tell there was any damage, and there's no damaged hardware. I only have a lightly scuffed finish and a slightly dinged corner.

The point is, even if it does get royally beat up, System76 does a good job fixing the lappies. And as far as I can tell, that must have been quite a bump that it took because it feels solidly constructed.

The bottom line, anything short of a tiger isn't going harm your lappy's internal organs.