PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creative Zen MP3 Players

Bosconian
July 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I am trying to make a complete move to Linux but am finding the need to dual boot with Windows due to my iPod Touch. It is a real pain having to dual boot into Windows just for this so I am thinking of selling the iPod and getting something else.

I had dismissed the Creative players because it looked like they either needed a driver (only available for Windows) or WMP11. However, in a review of the latest Create Zen X-Fi, I read the following:

Linux and Mac are not officially supported, but they will work if the right hacks and libraries are installed.

Can anyone comments on what these "hacks and libraries" are?

chalewa
July 22nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I am trying to make a complete move to Linux but am finding the need to dual boot with Windows due to my iPod Touch. It is a real pain having to dual boot into Windows just for this so I am thinking of selling the iPod and getting something else.

I had dismissed the Creative players because it looked like they either needed a driver (only available for Windows) or WMP11. However, in a review of the latest Create Zen X-Fi, I read the following:

Can anyone comments on what these "hacks and libraries" are?

I have no experience with the X-Fi, but the Vision M works fabulously in linux (ubuntu).

IndyGunFreak
July 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I have no experience with the X-Fi, but the Vision M works fabulously in linux (ubuntu).

Could you elaborate on this? I'm in the same predicament as the original poster, and am trying to get a player that will work reliably under Ubuntu.

What version of Ubuntu?
How do you transfer songs to the player?
How does it handle the transfer of videos? This is a major pain in the rear w/ Ipods.

Thanks

chalewa
July 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Could you elaborate on this? I'm in the same predicament as the original poster, and am trying to get a player that will work reliably under Ubuntu.

What version of Ubuntu?
How do you transfer songs to the player?
How does it handle the transfer of videos? This is a major pain in the rear w/ Ipods.

Thanks

Currently I am using Hardy, but this worked under Gutsy as well, and I am guessing works on previous versions as well.

There are several guides out there on how to set up Amarok with the Creative players, but I have found that gnomad2 is just easier. It might not have all the bells and whistles of Amarok, but I use niether as my primary music player so it doesn't make a difference.

As far as video transfer goes, Gnomad handles that perfectly as well. I have never had any issues.

clstal
September 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
N00b to Ubuntu, have a creative vision:M and am trying to connect to it. Tried installing Gnomad2 and kzenexplorer (didn't realize that was only for the zens) - player still isn't recognized.

Connecting via USB and getting "No Jukeboxes found on USB bus" error msgs on Gnomad2 startup and when rescanning.

Help?

Thanks!
Crystal

Rinzwind
September 15th, 2008, 05:59 AM
To have my creative zen x-fi working I had to install 1 package: mtp-tools.
mtpfs (the filesystem is installed by default since 8.04 so no need to mess around with that; prior to 8.04 you need that aswell.

I need to start Amarok with sudo to have it recognize my Zen.

brunolabs
September 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I have a Zen Micro and works with Gnomad2 from the repos.

skullmunky
September 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I have a zen nano and it worked pretty well with amarok...