PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system not remembering the drives

stonecoldjha
July 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
when i log on,i see none of my drives on my desktop,its only when i access those drives while opening files in VLC media player,or any other application that the drives show up on the desktop......how can i make them be on the desktop.....right from the point of system start

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
when i log on,i see none of my drives on my desktop,its only when i access those drives while opening files in VLC media player,or any other application that the drives show up on the desktop......how can i make them be on the desktop.....right from the point of system startyou will have to add those drives in fstab so that they will auto-mount

Check this link for more info on how to add entries in fstab

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

fidamehran
July 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Goodness me. So much stuff to do just to see the icons on the desktop when I log on? Oh, come on, its not like its some kind of an Ubuntu error or bug or something. You can simply click the "Places" on top and you get em all. Why bother about desktop icons. Of course if its your personal preference, its perfectly rational.

Inxsible
July 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Goodness me. So much stuff to do just to see the icons on the desktop when I log on? Oh, come on, its not like its some kind of an Ubuntu error or bug or something. You can simply click the "Places" on top and you get em all. Why bother about desktop icons. Of course if its your personal preference, its perfectly rational.You don't have to do ALL the stuff listed there. If you read it carefully, you will probably need to follow just a few commands. But the information is all there for you to tweak things if you so wished.

In anycase, isn't it fun to tweak things even if you don't really need it ?

fidamehran
July 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
In anycase, isn't it fun to tweak things even if you don't really need it ?
It's definitely fun to tweak things even if I don't really need it; as long as I don't screw up something big. "There you go start talking like a Windows user" you say, right? Well, I am a Ubuntu newbie.... :-)