PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after RAM upgrade

mgm2rr
July 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have a problem with my Dell Dimension 2400 computer that I use to dual-boot Ubuntu and XP. The computer only has two memory slots, and I had been using one 256mb and one 512mb PC2700 memory stick, which worked fine under both Ubuntu and XP. I recently got a 1gb PC2700 stick to replace the 256mb stick. Ubuntu still runs fine, it recognizes the new memory and it can use it ( I have loaded up tons of programs to make sure both sticks are in use). However, Windows XP will no longer boot up, even in Safe Mode. It gives me a bsod for about a half second, too brief for me to read anything, then automatically reboots. I have run memtest and it passes every test fine, so I don't think that the memory is physically damaged in any way. Does anyone have any ideas of why this might happen? Is it possible that Ubuntu can read the new memory but XP can't? I know this might be more appropriate in a windows forum, but I don't really have one that I trust like I trust this forum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pumalite
July 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM

mgm2rr
July 22nd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I am away from the computer now, and I was going to use NX to start a session and work on this, but I forgot that my ubuntu box was off. Will post after work, I would still greatly appreciate any help.