PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Why don't some videos of the same format play while the others do?

lazertek
July 22nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have a couple wmv format videos and some of them play in totem while the others don't... I can only hear sound but I can't see the video. How do I fix this? Any codecs I can install that might make it work. I have installed the restricted formats btw.

silkstone
July 22nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Take a look at this tutorial and see if there is anything you are missing...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

kahlil88
July 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
There are different versions of the WMV codec, and some of your videos might be DRM-infected, I don't believe there are any free (as in "speech") programs that can play such files.

lazertek
July 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I tried those steps over and the ones that weren't playing still don't play. And its not drm protected. any ideas?

kahlil88
July 24th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The videos might be corrupted - have you tried opening them in WiMP (Windows Media Player)?

lazertek
July 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM
The videos might be corrupted - have you tried opening them in WiMP (Windows Media Player)?
Yes I tried playing them in windows and it played fine...

Duranxl
July 25th, 2008, 12:16 PM
same with wma, normal wma's can be played but lossless wma's can't...

lazertek
July 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM
i haven't heard of lossless wma in particular having a problem in linux but if it is then is there any tweak that can make them play

Archmage
July 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I tried those steps over and the ones that weren't playing still don't play. And its not drm protected. any ideas?

WMV is ALWAYAS DRM-protected. But some can be played anyway outside Windows.

lazertek
July 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
could it be converted and played... I mean if it can't play it I doubt it can convert to a playable file... or is there just no way to play these