PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help with best buy ubuntu cd

wtigerks
July 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
hello i just got the new ubuntu 8.04 in the box cd and there is a key where do i go for it and how do i get dvd support know sins i paid for my copy of ubuntu o and how do i get ubuntu phone support is there a phone number that can call i am in the us thanks ...

big ubuntu fan

upchucky
July 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
very nice that you opted to buy the release, however there is no phone support that I know of unless it is contained within the stuff you bought. This would be an extra that the distribution packager chose to put in, I doubt that though.

I do not know what you mean by a key? ubuntu os is free, no keys required.

you should be able to put that cd in the drive, power up the pc and if you get a working system without an actual hard drive install, then this proves that the release will run on your pc and is ok to install.

if it does not run from the cd, then the most common problem is the pc display and you need the display specs to have on hand when doing the actual install.

there are things that may not work right away, as Linux is custom built for each pc it installs on. so the display, sound, network, and some other things may need special attention to get them working, but rest assured that if the cd worked without an actual install then ubuntu will work when installed to the hard drive.

Most install to pc do not need to be tweaked, but the ones that do are only because the hardware manufacturer has been brainwashed by a world dominance attitude.

Sef
July 22nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
very nice that you opted to buy the release, however there is no phone support that I know of unless it is contained within the stuff you bought. This would be an extra that the distribution packager chose to put in, I doubt that though.

I do not know what you mean by a key? ubuntu os is free, no keys required.

If you buy Ubuntu at Best Buy, there is a key on there, so you can get 60 days of support.

hello i just got the new ubuntu 8.04 in the box cd and there is a key where do i go for it and how do i get dvd support know sins i paid for my copy of ubuntu o and how do i get ubuntu phone support is there a phone number that can call i am in the us thanks ...

big ubuntu fan

There shoiuld be a phone number where you can call.

wtigerks
July 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
there is no number or and link to the support it is just a registration number there is no link to get help i figured if i got this cd i would get dvd play back support and othere drivers is there any way to get a hold of ubuntu i need to talk to them .

Joeb454
July 23rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
There's no way to get hold of Ubuntu - we're a community driven distro :) You're more than welcome to ask for support on here however.

I think your best option would be to contact Best Buy and query it with them

Separ
July 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
If you want DVD playback, this guide tells you how to do it in 2 commands from the terminal:

http://lifehacker.com/350015/enable-dvd-playback-in-ubuntu-in-two-commands

But check everything that you got in the box for the number and if it's not there, go back to Best Buy and say that there was no number and they should give you it.

And feel free to ask on these forums too, don't be shy. This community helps with anything, however minor :D

wtigerks
July 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
thanks for that it work now but i have nother problem i try to us my skype and i can not us my mic is there a trick to geting it to work i have searched all over and i get no help can you me thanks .

ad_267
July 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
You could try running the program alsamixer from a terminal by going to Applications - Accessories - Terminal and then enter "alsamixer"

Use your arrow keys to move around and make sure the mic is turned up then press Esc to quit.

wtigerks
July 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM
thank you all for you help i have another thing i need to know is there a list of working progams for wine 1.1.2 in ubuntu 8.04.1 and a how to install the progams i would like to learn how to use wine i have been trying to get secondlife installed and hat how i have to put the fold on my desktop and run it from there lol some how there is a way to install it in wine hmmmm thanks for all you help and i hope some one can help me on this thanks .:KS

Pumalite
July 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
This will help:
http://www.winehq.org/site/documentation

Potatoj316
July 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
There is a linux version of second life, its the one I installed. I know there is a .deb (because its what I used) and I think getdeb.net has it. If it isnt there you can try googling second life deb.

steveneddy
July 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
To the original poster:

Please try to make your posts a little easier to read.

Use punctuation and correct spelling if you can. It makes everything easier to read and we can distinguish one issue from another.

I'm glad you bought and paid money for Ubuntu, but did you realize that you could get a free CD from Ubuntu at

shipit.ubuntu.com

Take care and good luck.

CEB2nd
July 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Release Date
5/6/2008
Publisher
ValuSoft
Platform
Linux
Category
Operating Systems
Format
CD-ROM (1)

Synopsis
This boxed set includes a Ubuntu CD, Quick Start Guide, and 60 days of professional support from Ubuntu. You'll enjoy easier installation for lower bandwidth connections versus download. You'll also love free support for any technical issues when installing this operating system. Imagine you're right in the middle of an important procedure when your computer freezes and crashes, erasing your data and costing you hours of extra work. For the thousandth time, you wish you had an easy-to-use alternative to your current operating system. Look no further than Ubuntu Linux, a community-developed, Linux-based operating system designed to give new life to your old PC or Mac.

Ubuntu Linux offers all the power of Linux in a package that's simple to use and easy to learn, even for users who've never used Linux before. The OpenOffice complete office productivity suite includes word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software to provide you with all the key desktop applications you need for success, while still allowing you to open, edit and share files with users of Microsoft Office, WordPerfect, KOffice or StarOffice. Surf the Web with ease using Mozilla FireFox, which features tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking and more. Easily instant message people on your AIM, MSN, Napster and Yahoo buddy lists from a single window with Gaim instant messaging. Manage e-mail, photos, music and more easily, and keep your computer safe with powerful firewall and antivirus programs. With Ubuntu Linux, your computer operates smoothly and efficiently, saving you time and preserving your peace of mind.

Features
OpenOffice productivity suite provides easy-to-use word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications
Open, edit and share files originating in Microsoft Office, WordPerfect, KOffice or StarOffice
Streamline multiple instant messaging programs into a single window incorporating icons, translations and emoticons
Manage your time and contacts with Evolution's integrated e-mail and calendar
Upload and edit photos from your hard drive, camera or MP3 player in 16 different file types, including JPEG, GIF, TIFF and RAW
Store, search and browse your music library and listen to Internet radio with Rhythmbox media player
Browse the Internet safely and conveniently using Mozilla FireFox
Update the program easily, from quick security fixes to complete upgrades, with just a few clicks
Compatible with Intel®-based Macs and PCs