PDA

View Full Version : pidgin to finally have better msn support

ELD
July 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but i randomly checked the pidgin news today and saw they have finally merged a much newer msn protocol (personal message, music, offline messaging etc etc).

About bloody time!

mrgnash
July 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Good news... I suppose. I stick to Jabber/XMPP these days though. It's a far superior protocol, and is in accordance with FOSS philosophy.

wersdaluv
July 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Good news... I suppose. I stick to Jabber/XMPP these days though. It's a far superior protocol, and is in accordance with FOSS philosophy.
It's just that, most people have only an MSN or Yahoo! IM account.

mrgnash
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
It's just that, most people have only an MSN or Yahoo! IM account.

I know :( Fortunately though, I have been able to convince the majority of my contacts to register GTalk/Jabber accounts :P

Polygon
July 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
msn has been really really flaky for me recently, hopefully this will fix that when it gets released...hopefully soon

bp1509
July 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I'll be happy when the developers stop working on stupid crap like making sure you can't resize the text box, or creating finch on the commandline and get down to business on voice/video functionality.

fluteflute
July 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
http://theflamingbanker.blogspot.com/2008/07/state-of-msn-plugin-address.html

This is why I switched to Emesene! I'll be glad to be able to change back again just so I can have IRC and MSN in one app. Although AMSN2 looks promising too.

Dr Small
July 22nd, 2008, 06:27 PM
+1
I use Jabber, but my Openfire server is down for the time being because of hard drive problems. It'll be back up eventually though, and then I'll be back on Jabber :)

Ozor Mox
July 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
This is great news. I would love to use something open like Jabber if I could convince my friends to switch (all MSN), but I don't find it worth the effort at the moment.

LookTJ
July 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
It's about time! :)

Too bad I recently switched to msn-pecan. :D

ELD
July 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
http://theflamingbanker.blogspot.com/2008/07/state-of-msn-plugin-address.html

This is why I switched to Emesene! I'll be glad to be able to change back again just so I can have IRC and MSN in one app. Although AMSN2 looks promising too.

I like emesene and i am using it right now, the admins on the forum really bug me though, they are extremely childish. But the software is top notch.

kahlil88
July 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I'll be happy when the developers stop working on stupid crap like making sure you can't resize the text box, or creating finch on the commandline and get down to business on voice/video functionality.

I didn't mind the input area change. It's the tab close buttons that annoy me. Do they care at all about HIG?

Erunno
July 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
I didn't mind the input area change. It's the tab close buttons that annoy me. Do they care at all about HIG?

Pidgin is not part of the GNOME desktop as far as I know so their adherence of the HIG is voluntarily at best. It's difficult enough to get people to follow about such guidelines in the first place as the only tool you have is either forking (unrealistic) or social pressure.

ELD
August 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
They seem to be taking their sweet time with the 2.5 release...

FlyingIsFun1217
August 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Too bad I recently switched to msn-pecan.

I was about to say... why not just use the REAL msn protocol plugin?

FlyingIsFun1217

Polygon
August 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
this is really the first major update to the msn protocol in a while.....id rather wait a little while and have a good polished product then a hastily rushed one

RiceMonster
August 17th, 2008, 07:57 PM

I'd love to do that, but everyone around here uses MSN. It would just be inconvenient to convince everyone to switch. That's why I use emesene.