PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] awn and mac like docks

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
iv been reading all sorts of posts abt awn and mac lyk docks but still cant get it..i managed to install awn but i dont know how to work with it..when i change the colur and stuff nothing happens..

kdb424
July 22nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
I use AWN too. It's a bit glitchy. I think that if you try restarting it, the settings take affect. Let me know how that goes.

Troll_the_Great
July 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
If you want a mac-like doc, try cairo-dock.It's very customizable and (with a little help from Mac4Lin)your desktop cam be made to look exactly like Mac OSX.
Take a look at my desktop and tell me what do you think.:)
Cheers!

kdb424
July 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM
I will admit, that is a pretty good mac ripoff, and I run mac as a main OS. lol

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
nah restarting dux not work..damn

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
If you want a mac-like doc, try cairo-dock.It's very customizable and (with a little help from Mac4Lin)your desktop cam be made to look exactly like Mac OSX.
Take a look at my desktop and tell me what do you think.:)
Cheers!

ur desktop rules!! plz can u give me some instructions on a cairo dock...

Troll_the_Great
July 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
It's easy.First do a search on Google for Cairo-dock (I think you can find it in Synaptic also) and install it.Then choose the theme MacOSX.
Next you need the desktop theme.Search on google for "Mac4Lin GTK Metacity Theme" (I think you can find it at gnome-look.com).Install the theme (it has the wallpapers too), customize it and you're done.Tell me if you need further assistance.
Cheers!

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
er im having troble downloding cairo..and what is synaptic (sorry but im really new to these stuff)

billgoldberg
July 22nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
er im having troble downloding cairo..and what is synaptic (sorry but im really new to these stuff)

Go to this page (http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8724), and download the latest “dock” and “plugin” .deb files. Double click them to install. After installation, you can open Cairo Dock using “applications -> system tools”.

Synaptic is a package manager, that will download and install software for you.

Most of the time you don't need to search on the internet for software, synaptic will have it.

But in the case of cairo-dock, this isn't the case.

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
THANKS alot billgoldberg and also Troll :d

billgoldberg
July 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
No problem.

Could you mark your thread as solved using the thread tools?

hedrian
July 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
yeah but one problem
http://i45.servimg.com/u/f45/11/55/76/81/screen11.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=384&u=11557681)

do i have to choose only the themes in cairo dock? i mean is there a way that i can install other themes

Troll_the_Great
July 22nd, 2008, 01:18 PM
Right click on the dock, Cairo-dock-Manage themes-Choose a theme.There are 15 themes I think.Choose the one you like.
Cheers!