PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Evolution: can't configure new password against OWA

airflow
July 22nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hi,

I'm using Evolution for some time now in my company against the Exchange-server there. It always worked, but since I changed my password today I can't seem to configure the new password in Evolution, too! :(

Evolution asks me for the new password, I enter it, but I'm immediately asked again - although it's definitely the right one.

When I start Evolution from the console, I see the following error-messages when trying to authenticate:

e-data-server-ui-Message: Unable to find password(s) in keyring (Keyring reports: No matching results)
e-data-server-ui-Message: Key file does not have group 'Passwords-Exchange'

Anyone knows what does that mean and how to fix it?

regards,
airflow

airflow
July 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Help! :( I still couldn't fix this highly annoying problem...

What I have tried:

* Deleting my keyring, and letting ubuntu create a new one (named "login").
* Deleting and recreating my email-account in evolution.

Didn't really change anything. Except I see a new error-log-message from evolution:

** (evolution:7556): WARNING **: couldn't connect to daemon at $GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET: /tmp/keyring-Hl5izR/socket: Connection refused

Any hints highly appreciated!
airflow

louferd
August 7th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Any luck fixing this? I've had the same problem and evolution is now completely useless. Before Hardy, I had no problems with it, but it's been one critical error after another since the upgrade. Terrible. It should never have been released like this.

airflow
August 15th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I invested significant time in recovering this problem, as basically my daily work flow depends heavily on being able in responding to email. I tried to recreate a new evolution-configuration by reconfiguring everything in the options several times, and all of a sudden it worked again - but for me the process wasn't consistent - i have tried the same things before without luck. Sorry to not being able to give you a reproducible solution.

regards,
airflow

dlstyley
August 31st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I think something is wrong with the GUI interface where you enter your exchange settings. I logged the following bug... have no idea where that will go.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/262348

The key is to start Evolution with debugging turned on for the Exchange connector (E2K_DEBUG=5). Then you can see what is being passed to the OWA server and debug from there. I had to manually edit the configuration instead of using the GUI.

firsttry
September 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
I have the same problem:

e-data-server-ui-Message: Unable to find password(s) in keyring (Keyring reports: No matching results)
e-data-server-ui-Message: Key file does not have key 'exchange:xxxxxxx;auth_Basic@XX.X.X.XXX_'
evolution-shell-Message: Killing old version of evolution-data-server...

It's really annoying as I use evolution at work and I have loads of filters set up - I tried moving the whole ~/.evolution folder somewhere else to get evo to regenerate it, but no luck there either. Hope someone has a fix for this!

dlstyley
September 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Did you try turning on debugging to see what is being sent to the exchange server?

What I found is that the configuration settings weren't being stored properly, so it was sending a request to the server that looked like this:

http://my.server.com/Exchange/username/username

Editing the settings directly in gconf-editor and removing the extra username in the URL fixed it for me.

krivine
September 2nd, 2008, 04:58 PM
Did you try turning on debugging to see what is being sent to the exchange server?

What I found is that the configuration settings weren't being stored properly, so it was sending a request to the server that looked like this:

http://my.server.com/Exchange/username/username

Editing the settings directly in gconf-editor and removing the extra username in the URL fixed it for me.

I'm a complete newbie; can you give me a pointer to the file that I would need to examine/edit?

Thanks

dlstyley
September 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
This may be a bit like the blind leading the blind. ;)

At the command line run:

gconf-editor

It will open something similar to the registry editor in Windows (if you are familiar with that). Navigate to /apps/evolution/mail. In there is a key called "accounts". when you try to edit it, you won't be able to read it (at least I couldn't). Instead I copied that text into a text editor so I could see the entire string. I fixed up the connection string and pasted it back in.

I don't recall for sure, but I think I removed my username from the "owa_path". May have removed a slash as well.

So I changed something like this:

owa_path=/exchange/username/

to something like this:

owa_path=/exchange

Don't forget to start evolution with debugging from the command-line to see if you can tell what your problem is. That's how I figured this out.

E2K_DEBUG=1 evolution

You can use 1-5 as debugging levels to give you more or less detail (5 is most).

krivine
September 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
He he, at the moment I'll take guidance from anybody who's walked the path before.

It doesn't immediately solve my problem, but you've given me some more things to look at; thank you.

dlstyley
September 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM
Are you getting any errors showing up in the debug output? Basically, responses from the HTTP server that aren't in the 2xx range.

krivine
September 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks; I ought to confess that my problem has to do with Evolution not remembering passwords for Google diaries - related perhaps, but not the same. I googled the error message, and when I saw your post I was interested to see what you'd done. Your reply really was helpful, and useful: I learnt about gconf and E2K_DEBUG, so once again, thanks.

The Google calendar problem is a known bug, and I guess I can live with it.

dragonfyre13
October 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
MUCH easier way.

Edit -> Preferences

Select your exchange account, and hit the edit button on the side.

Change to the Receiving Email tab, and remove your "Mailbox" entry. (Just delete it completely).

Click the Authenticate button, and type in your password when requested. It will refill in your "Mailbox" entry.

Restart Evolution.

Just do the above. It will auto fix the config file to have only one mailbox.

lunatico
November 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM
This solution will not work for me as I have not configured my account before. Is there a file where I can go and manually configure this? Could someone give it to me, or give me the string values I should put into gconf-editor?
Thanks!