PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype problem

CommanderOne
July 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hey,

I installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago, and have been throughly enjoying it, but I have been having some problems with the Linux version of Skype.

I can download and install it, but as soon as I go go run it I can log in, but thats about as far as I get. As soon as that happens it will log me in for a few seconds, but seems to lose the connection and goes from a green active icon, to a loggin in rotating gray one.

I as wondering if anyone had any ideas how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

jamesrfla
July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
Skype login servers seems to be working so that isn't the problem. Try rebooting.

komputes
July 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
Log into skype.com with the same username and password, if that fails do the password recovery by filling out your details and clicking "Get Password"

https://secure.skype.com/store/member/login?message=login_required

CommanderOne
July 22nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Hey,

Thanks for the help.

I can actually login to skype, and skype.com, the problem I am having is when I have logged into the skype client on my computer, I get signed into skype, can see people online etc, but then it seems to log me out, or I lose the connection, and it goes back to siging me in.

hyper_ch
July 22nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
use skype from the medibuntu repos. That works for sure.

komputes
July 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Is this using a cabled or wireless connection? When skype is grey, are you able to access the web via firefox?

CommanderOne
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Is this using a cabled or wireless connection? When skype is grey, are you able to access the web via firefox?

Hey,

This is using a wireless connection, and when skype starts I can connect to the net fine, but as soon as it gors into that 'loading' stage firefox packs a spat as well and wont let me through either. But this happens every time I try to use Skype, and has to be because of it.

I tried sudo apt-get install skype, and that has the same problem :/

Thanks,

komputes
July 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
If this does not happed on a wired connection, I would blame the wireless connection or wireless driver (or the router but I doubt it). It has nothing to do with skype or firefox and everything to do with the network. I had the same issue using a broadcom and a d-link wireless controller using a windows driver under NDISwrapper.