PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Paintshop Pro 7 equivalent?

mingle
July 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hi,

On my old XP box I used Paint Shop Pro 7.04 as my main GFX program (PSP 8 was far too much like PhotoShop - bloated and overdone).

I'm looking for something similar on Ubuntu. Not GIMP - that too is far too much like PhotoShop!

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike.

perlluver
July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
Maybe inkscape.

Helios1276
July 22nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
Whats wrong with Gimp?

t0p
July 22nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
You really ought to check out Synaptic. A quick look turned up Kolourpaint, RGBPaint and Open Office.org Drawing as a few examples. But I'm sure there are a lot of other apps to choose from.

bcschmerker
July 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Looks as though previous posts this Thread have spelled out your available options nicely. I actually used The GIMP on my Everex gPC (Ubuntu 7.10, LinUX Kernel 2.6.22) to modify a Portable Network Graphic (initially created on Microsoft Paint on an eMachines/Gateway system running Windows XP) for transparency; it's a good package to have for specific data modifications impossible on the other packages. Be advised that the ultimate in detail editing has its drawback in complexity of user interface. Recommend you go with whatever application best fits you needs.

(I found a specific need for further editing due to a lack of support in MS Paint for transparent backgrounds.)

stmiller
July 22nd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Krita (http://www.koffice.org/krita/) is nice.

BGFG
July 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM
Xara is pretty powerful too....

bumanie
July 22nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Gimp or gimpshop - the latter having had a gui produced that has a familiar layout if you already know photoshop.