PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions regarding Alsa.

Roasted
July 22nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
I just reinstalled Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit. Some questions arose.

Before, I had no problems running YouTube + Amarok at the SAME time. Now, it didn't work. I remember OSS lovers complaining that that was the big drawback to Alsa. However, I remember somebody else telling me Alsa has a plugin that mimic's OSS or something...

I set Amarok to auto-detect, and bam. Amarok + YouTube play at the same time and lived happily ever after.

I'd like to understand this a little bit more. I've tried the big 3, Alsa, Pulse, and OSS. Hands down, Alsa is the easiest to deal with... so I'm remaining on this route.

So, what exactly is going on with Alsa when it's in use? Is it like there's a single pipeline of audio feed, and only one process can use it at once? What behind auto-detect enables Alsa to be used by multiple processes? I noticed certain things, such as Audacious, doesn't have an auto-detect feature... so it's stuck. Either YouTube, or Audacious. One or the other.

Can anybody fill this in for me?

tuxxy
July 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
I would be interested in this also as I get the same when palying Banshee, this effects my messenger client.