PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Best Games Ever

matthew
November 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Interesting list...I have to disagree with their findings, I mean Nethack/Hack/Rogue isn't even listed!!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/top10_100.html

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 06:29 AM
I don't agree with a lot of those.

poofyhairguy
November 6th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Interesting list...I have to disagree with their findings, I mean Nethack/Hack/Rogue isn't even listed!!

Except for how low Tetris is, I have never seen a list I agreed with more!

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 06:35 AM
yeah some of those games were real milestone or brillantly developped but there are a few missing entries and quite a few that I don't agree at all.

I mean it should have been only nintendo entry ;)

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 06:36 AM
I do agree with Mario 3 being so high. I think Doom needs to be in the top 5 if not #1. THere's so much more that needs to be up there :)

Sykil
November 6th, 2005, 06:39 AM
#5: Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES --- Should have been #1
#6: Super Smash Bros. Melee - GC --- <3
#9: Halo: Combat Evolved - XBOX --- Undeserved.

sapo
November 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I just dont agree with some positions.. for me three best would be in this order:

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Chrno Trigger

:)

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Except for how low Tetris is, I have never seen a list I agreed with more!

#17: Final Fantasy VIII (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197343.html) - PS crap
#42: Final Fantasy IX (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197338.html) - PS crap
#43: Chrono Cross (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/196917.html) - PS crap
#46: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/game/197770.html) - N64 good but by no mean as good as ocarina's of time as in nothing new with that game.
#60: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/256222.html) - PC good but again nothing out of this world

Anyway a list of one hundred games that doesn't include any single version of quake or wolfenstein isn't worth taking seriously.

A game also that should be in there but probably didn't make it since it was only on Mac, was Marathon 1 and 2.

No warcraft 2, Sim city, civilization, the sims, TMNT 2, Donkey Kong

bored2k
November 6th, 2005, 06:52 AM
@ Collin:

The Sims in a best games EVER list? Not just any best ever list, on a list from gamefaqs, a site where peope usually get guides for hard ARC/Console games.. you want Sims? And yet you say FF VIII/IX and Chrono Cross are bad?! I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

Chrono Cross' Gamespot score: 10.0 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html)

Qrk
November 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Commander Keen is nowhere to be found. Obviously the list is defective.

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 07:01 AM
@ Collin:

The Sims in a best games EVER list? Not just any best ever list, on a list from gamefaqs, a site where peope usually get guides for hard ARC/Console games.. you want Sims? And yet you say FF VIII/IX and Chrono Cross are bad?! I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with it.

Chrono Cross' Gamespot score: 10.0 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html)

I personnaly never really liked The Sims, but it was somehow revolutionary in terms of gaming experience. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2004-09-27

I went back on the bungie website to see old screen shot of the game Marathon, heck that game had a multiplayer fragfest back in 1994.

Anyhow I think game should be judge on the impact they make in the gaming world first of all. Quality of conception is one thing but in terms of impact it is little.

I personnaly wouldn't put FF VII but I'd probably get shot for saying that, I just thought it was a very linear RPG but that is my opinion and I will refrain from mentioning it too loudly.

darkoptix
November 6th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Why do people hate Halo soo much? I think it does deserve a place on that list.

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 07:05 AM
chrono cross was incredible. It's deserving of being there. All the FF games are amazing, but I don't think 7 should be that high, maybe 10. It's lauded as being the best one, but I personally thing 8 was the best (though I'll probably get shot for saying that)

bored2k
November 6th, 2005, 07:07 AM
I personnaly never really liked The Sims, but it was somehow revolutionary in terms of gaming experience. http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2004-09-27

I went back on the bungie website to see old screen shot of the game Marathon, heck that game had a multiplayer fragfest back in 1994.

Anyhow I think game should be judge on the impact they make in the gaming world first of all. Quality of conception is one thing but in terms of impact it is little.

I personnaly wouldn't put FF VII but I'd probably get shot for saying that, I just thought it was a very linear RPG but that is my opinion and I will refrain from mentioning it too loudly.
Although linear, the FF saga has bigger than life storylines that only a few can match. Graphics to die for (from FF 6 to FF 7? MUCHO difference my friend). CGI cutscenes were too. RPG gameplay. It pretty much owned its entire genre in almost everything just like Ocarina of Time did a few years later (I didn't really got to play much of Ocarina).

I do agree that Sims changed the PC gaming scene, but I'm not sure about putting it next to some of the games there.

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 07:14 AM
As I said I do accept FF 7 being in that list any FF thereafter are just a redo.

Also I would've put Diablo 1 instead of the 2nd, I know the second was by far superior in many aspect the first one is what got most of us into online gaming in the first place.

Anyhow There would be alot to discuss about much of those games I suppose.

bored2k
November 6th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I don't agree much with the list (although it really has some great games). Here is my top ten (based on how much they WOWed me at the time I played them and how):

Top three (in no particular order):

Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Tekken 3 (PSX/ARC)

Why do I rank FF-X and MGS2 so high? Let me put it this way: when I first got my PS2 (fairly late in the game), those two were the first two games I played. To date, no game has gotten even close to being at the level of how much I was amazed at those two. It is my firm belief that playing those two games first ruined my "new gen" gaming experience. "Hmm... it's an ok action game, but it's not near MGS2."

Why Tekken 3? me and my friends played that game... frantically. I studied that game. Tekken has the best story ever for a fighting game. Why isn't Tekken 5 on my top list instead? Although it's incredibly better than Tekken 3, the wow factor wasn't that high. I picked it up and I was already doing massive damage with Paul Phoenix. I picked up Asuka Kazama for the first time(a new player), and I was already owning left and right as I knew she had some of Jin's old Tekken 3 (thus Jun's Tekken 2 LP+RK combos) moves.

The rest (in no particular order):

Duke Nukem 3D/Half-Life 2 (those two are sharing because they did for me the exact same thing to me only in different times).
Metal Gear Solid 1 (PSX's action/stealth game by excellence).
Mortal Kombat II (...)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (...)
Tekken 5 (I played that one today :))
Kingdom Hearts (My jaw never left the ground while I smiled at the same time... Mermaid's world is the most annoying world in any videogame ever.. that's the only flaw in it).
Legend of Zelda: Link to the past

bored2k
November 6th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Also I would've put Diablo 1 instead of the 2nd, I know the second was by far superior in many aspect the first one is what got most of us into online gaming in the first place.
I agree. Diablo 1 had nothing on it that appealed as much as D2 did. D2 was better in every single aspect of it and wowed us all even more.

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 07:37 AM
I agree. Diablo 1 had nothing on it that appealed as much as D2 did. D2 was better in every single aspect of it and wowed us all even more.

Well it might sound a little shocking but I much prefer the whole "gothic" dark environment of the first diablo.

My top ten of WOW games:

Legend of Zelda
Dragon Warrior 1 & 3
Final Fantasy 3
Killer Instinct
Marathon 1
Quake 1
Sim City 2000
Metroid Prime
Mario Kart 64
Grand Turismo 1

bored2k
November 6th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I've yet to play any good GC games :(. Wind waker, metroid, i've missed them all :(.

D'autre part, I started to take the Gran Turismo series seriously on GT3. Loved that game. Great to play with buddies and just as great or more on single player.

poofyhairguy
November 6th, 2005, 08:14 AM
#42: Final Fantasy IX (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197338.html) - PS crap

Awwww.. Nine is ok. Really. It shines on an Emulator!

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
I really liked 9. Not as good as 7 or 8, but still good. I haven't played 10 or 11 unfortunately

Cyfr
November 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I only have one best game and thats FFVII so they got that right!

BWF89
November 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
My top 10:

Half Life (Playstation 2)
Half Life 2 (PC)
Star Control 3 (PC)
Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 (PC)
Grand Theft Auto III (PC & Playstation 2)
Grand Theft Auto Vice City (Playstation 2)
Tribes Aerial Assault (Playstation 2)
Total Annihilation (PC)
Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear & Urban Operations expansion (PC)
Pokemon Yellow (Gameboy Color)

Adrian
November 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Today's top 10 in no particular order:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
It Came from the Desert (Amiga)
Monkey Island 1 (Amiga - much better music than in the PC-version)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
Maupiti Island (Amiga - the PC version is just not as good)
Day of the Tentacle (PC)
The Last Ninja (C64 - Fantastic music! PRESS PLAY ON TAPE)
IK+ (Amiga, C64)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Pirates! (Any platform)

Hmmm... There are too many good games to make a top 10 list... or even a top 100 list.

asimon
November 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM
My list in no order:
Bard's Tale
Giana Sisters
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Unreal Tournament
Duke Nukem 3D
Elite
It Came from the Desert
Diablo 2
Mission Impossible

psychicdragon
November 6th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Too many RPG's, but I guess it makes sense seeing as it's a GameFAQ's list. Practically nothing from the NES/arcade era in the top half of the list either, which is really wrong.

For me the fact that Castlevania 3 and Sim City 2000 aren't on there makes it a seriously broken list. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is way too far down the list as well, it should easily be in the top 15 ahead of some of that garbage.

My top ten:

Castlevania 3
Starcraft
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
SIm CIty 2000
Gunstar Heroes
Fatal Fury: Real Bout 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Battletoads
Contra

xequence
November 6th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Unreal Tournament is #90! Something is wrong... And Quake isnt even there! And Doom is only #33!

They're stupid.

My top 5:

1. Doom (It was THE game. It basically started it all)
2. Unreal Tournament (Brilliant!)
3. Quake (It was the OTHER game, but it was the one that started truely 3d FPS)
4. Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Wonderful!)
5. Super Smash Bros. (The best fun you could have against real people, except for UT and Quake)

Crazy Man
November 6th, 2005, 05:51 PM
My top 11 (note: some individual entries contain > 1 game in the series. This means they are of equal rank):

Unreal Tournament (the original and the best)
Sonic (2 and (3 & Knuckles))
Streets of Rage (1 and 2)
Final Fantasy VI (or FF III as it was over in the states).
Tekken (all except 4).
Final Fantasy VII
Soul Blade (and Soul Calibur 3, but not the other two).
Super Mario World
Gran Turismo (1 and 3. Haven't played enough of 4 to judge).
Super Smash Bros Melee
Gunstar Heroes

PatrickMay16
November 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Panzer Dragoon Saga should be on that list.

TravisNewman
November 6th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I gotta say, I know lots of people are saying Yoshi's Island should be higher... I don't even think it should be on the list. It's freakin' boring.

Collin
November 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I gotta say, I know lots of people are saying Yoshi's Island should be higher... I don't even think it should be on the list. It's freakin' boring.

Well I didn't enjoy the game either but it was quite fresh in the platform genre.

Master Shake
November 6th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Bogus list.

NO ATARI!

1) Super Mario Bros 1 (NES)
2) Pitfall! (Atari 2600)
3) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis / Mega Drive)
4) Pitfall 2 (Atari 2600)
5) Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600)
6) Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
7) Animal Crossing (GameCube)
8 ) Donkey Kong (Colecovision)
9) Legend of Zelda 1 (NES)
10 ) Metroid (NES)

djlosch
November 6th, 2005, 11:40 PM
yeah, this list is bummed. i say (in no specific order)

final fantasy 1 --> first huge big rpg
legend of zelda --> first huge adventure game
mortal kombat --> first huge fighting game
super mario bros 3 --> best platformer of it's time
doom --> set the stage for all fps
goldeneye --> brought fps to the console in an unrivaled form
duris --> best pvp ever (somewhat like texthack)... i played it for like 8 yrs)
command & conquer: red alert --> revolutionized gameplay of strategy games
diablo 1 --> b.net was unrivaled for online play

everything else has just been fancier graphics, or combining features of others.

but additional awesome games i'd say are:
starcraft
wc3
d2lod
half-life
final fantasy tactics
ff7
tekken3
zelda64 oat

raublekick
November 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM
you guys are getting all worked up over a best of list made by fanboys for fanboys :) i really hate gamefaqs sometimes.

my top 10:
1. Super Mario 64
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Super Metroid
4. NiGHTS Into Dreams
5. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
6. Final Fantasy III/VI
7. Donkey Kong Country
8. Gradius III
9. Street Fighter III
10. Ninja Gaiden

those are just my favorite, most fun games.

DariusTriplet
November 7th, 2005, 01:22 AM
you guys are getting all worked up over a best of list made by fanboys for fanboys :) i really hate gamefaqs sometimes.

Quoted for truth, as the saying goes. I've been using GameFAQs for a while and browsed dozens of forums, and I've found that the forums fall into four divisions:

1) Very small group of highly knowledgeable users. Mostly "secret" boards (otherwise empty game boards used by a group), such as Pub Trivia (a trivia board that I host).
2) Small group of knowledgeable users. Boards like Classic Gaming, where you can get a lot of really good advice/discussions with people that know what they're doing.
3) Highly popular game/social boards. These are the absoulte worst. Nobody knows what they're talking about, almost all the topics are lame fads, and rule-breaking is abound. Don't expect much advice; the people that actually do know what they're doing are drowned out rather quickly.
4) Dead boards.

Seeing as there's a negative correlation on a users-versus-knowledge graph, one can extrapolate and conclude that when every user of the site is involved, it's going to be a very poor result. That's what we're seeing with this list.

(if I came off as elitist, you'll have to forgive me; after using the site for 4 years, I have good reason to : P )

As for my personal Top 10:

Nethack
Photopia
Deus Ex
Diablo 2
Geneforge
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Metroid
Planescape: Torment
Shrapnel
Doom

matthew
November 7th, 2005, 01:32 AM
As for my personal Top 10:

Nethack
Thank you!! I don't feel so left out now. :)

claydoh
November 7th, 2005, 05:36 AM
My faves in no order are;

System Shock2
Grim Fandango
Half Life (any version/variant)
Super Mario world
tetris
mah-jong
solitaire!!!!!!
Starship Titanic
frozen Bubble
Fallout 2

I have played al but Starship Titanic and mario on linux and I suck at all of them :0)

gord
November 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM
these lists come out every month or so and they are allways very very wrong, how the gaming landscape can change so much in sush a short time to warrent an update to whatever sites 'top 100 games' list is beyond me but hey.

i think its a nice way to test people though, if you find someone that agree's with <site>'s top 100 list, they ain't a gamer ;). its like trying to say what the top 100 books are or the top 100 movies. there ain't no definates for most of us because we all have vastly diffirent tastes... unless you don't give a damn about games and are attracted to games purly based on what celebrity is in them and how many explosions it has... in which case im guessing american pie is in your top 100 movies list.

bored2k
November 7th, 2005, 06:00 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/

I believe Gamespot is a lot more accurate.
Note: the list is not complete. They usually add an entry every once in a while.

mohapi
February 4th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I don't think much of that GameFAQ list. Looks like it doesn't even go back beyond the NES, and anyone who grew up with an Atari 2600 would stack that list completely differently. Best games "ever"? I think not. [-(

added: At least the GameSpot list makes mention of Oregon Trail and M.U.L.E. Much better than that GameFAQ thing. Who put that together? A crew of 14-year-old boys?

Garyu
February 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Commander Keen is nowhere to be found. Obviously the list is defective.

Word! :cool:
Oh my god, Commander Keen had me spellbound for months on end. But then again, CK is nothing compared to masterpieces like Master of Orion 2...

But I guess the question is also; is it a list of the most FUN games to play, the games that has attracted the most PLAYERS, the most INNOVATIVE games, the games that has brought the industry most FORWARD...or something else?

IMO it is pointless to make lists such as this, unless it is defined very clear exactly what the list represents. It says there "user votes" or something, and that is probably the most unclear way of describing a list, because what was the user thinking when he/she voted? It could be anything of the above...

Garyu
February 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/

I believe Gamespot is a lot more accurate.
Note: the list is not complete. They usually add an entry every once in a while.

Yup, this list was much more accurate. Still a lot missing though. Like mentioned before Nethack (which almost got me fired in 1991 :P) and it's Amiga clone Moria (best Nethack clone I've tried). But in the Doom motivation they mention Wolfenstein 3D, which is a much better game (and the original 1st-p-shooter) but without multiplayer support, without including it in the list while Quake somehow gets its own space. So I will stick with my previous post and say that a list like this needs to be more specific; what is it that makes the game so darn good?

xmastree
February 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
They're stupid.
Agreed

1. Doom (It was THE game. It basically started it all)
But I disagree with that. Doom was a milestone, it introduced head to head deathmatch. FPS had been done with wolf 3d but doom raised the bar by a mile.
Doom is #2
The one game which started it all?
And by 'it all' I mean the whole idea of a computer being used for interactive entertainment rather than business use.

That one game, was pong!

You guys can laugh, but those of us old enough can remember when pong first appeared. And we were, like, WOW! playing a game on a computer?

Tetris is #3 since it's the most popular by far in terms of good old fashioned playability. If it wasn't, why are there so many clones?

endersshadow
February 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I will just say that Madden, NCAA Football, and Pizza Hut made up most of my high school years...they should be counted as a whole (not as individual years) and be in the top 10...and Tecmo Super Bowl should be higher than #86...if only because I am still undefeated at it, as no one beats Ottis Anderson...

By the way, I know nobody else agrees with me...but hey, we all have our stories :lol:

Master Shake
February 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
A list with no mention of anything Atari is suspect.

Atari's Adventure has to be in the top ten, along with Pitfall!

raublekick
February 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM
And by 'it all' I mean the whole idea of a computer being used for interactive entertainment rather than business use.

That one game, was pong!

You guys can laugh, but those of us old enough can remember when pong first appeared. And we were, like, WOW! playing a game on a computer?

But there were quite a few games before Pong was conceived...

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 07:36 PM
But I disagree with that. Doom was a milestone, it introduced head to head deathmatch. FPS had been done with wolf 3d but doom raised the bar by a mile.
Doom is #2

That one game, was pong!

Tetris is #3 since it's the most popular by far in terms of good old fashioned playability. If it wasn't, why are there so many clones?

To tell you the truth, I dont really even like Doom. I just put it there because when I think early FPS I think Doom. It is just so iconic.

A list of my favorite games would have UT at the top. But I consider this a list of the greatest/best...

bored2k
February 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
That one game, was pong!
We're trying not to rate games by how old they are. Sure, pong was great, but it shouldn't be in a best ever list (IMO). Pacman should be though.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Actually a lot of my all time favorite games were ones like Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons, Aerobiz: Supersonic, and the Civilization and SimCity series. I guess I just like the making money and managing part of games more relaxing and fun, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be as many anymore, especially on consoles :(

digitalsy
February 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, but why isn't Quake (the first one) listed. That's at least in my top 10...damn.

bored2k
February 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Didn't read the whole thread, but why isn't Quake (the first one) listed. That's at least in my top 10...damn.
What does Quake have that doom/duke_nukem3d didn't ?

LordBug
February 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Gameplay wise - not much. Duke was definitely the most light-hearted of the 3.

Technical wise - A lot. Quake was truly 3d. Doom and Duke Nuke'em were "2.5d".

bored2k
February 8th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Well, I don't see why that would make it one of the best games ever? I mean, thanks to the passing years, it was able to have better graphics/3D implementation. Period. If that's the case, let's make Doom3 one of the best games ever and not Doom the original?

Alpha_toxic
February 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
This list is totally wrong!!!
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is not even in the list...
also where are NFS 3,4 and 5???
and lol GTA-San Andreas is 11. More like 1111 for me...
a short list of what really should be there
-Heroes 3
-NFS 3,4,5
-Driver (GTA3 was stolen from here)
-C&C: (RA, RA2, Dune, Tiberian Dawn, Tiberisn Sun and everything else. I hear they are making C&C 3: Tiberian Dusk/Twilight :D )
-Gran Turismo (should be top 10)
-Wolfenstein (the very first FPS AFAIK)
-Quake (1 or 2, 2 was famouse, but it's all because of the double-jump bug that wasn't even made intentional)
-and what about Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider...
-at least some of the games are where they should be... (Metal Gear, *craft, Diablo 2, Sonic, Mario, Half-Life, Tekken 3)

fuscia
February 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM
what number was dope wars? i couldn't seem to find it on the list.

Alpha_toxic
February 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
what number was dope wars? i couldn't seem to find it on the list.
It's not...

joflow
February 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
The fact that the first 4 are japanese console RPGs outta tell you about how good that list is....horrible.

kaamos
February 8th, 2006, 09:28 PM
The fact that the first 4 are japanese console RPGs outta tell you about how good that list is....pretty good.

I agree mostly to the top ten. The game in #15 should be in it though!

Tharkun
February 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Best games EVER! :rolleyes:

these games are going to be in any real list made by people who know video/computer games.

SMB 1 (NES)
Castle Wolfenstein (Apple)
Castlevania 1 (NES)
Doom (PC)
Unreal Tournament (PC)
Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
The Sims (PC)
Final Fantasy 1 (NES)
Pac Man (ARC)
The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Pong (ARC)
Masters of Magic (PC)
Masters of Orion (PC)
Civilization (PC)
Diablo (PC)
Metroid (NES)
Pitfall! (Atari)

Of course these aren't all of them but they are just a selection.

Master Shake
February 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Here's my list:

1) Adventure / Atari / 2600
2) Ms. Pac-Man / Namco - Bally / Arcade
3) Tempest / Atari / Arcade
4) Super Mario Bros / Nintendo / NES
5) Duke NUkem 3D / ID / PC
6) Dark Forces / Lucasarts / PC
7) Ballblazer / Lucasarts / Atari 7800
8) Pitfall 2 / Activision / Atari 2600
9) Tron / Bally - Midway / Arcade
10) Animal Crossing / Nintendo / GameCube

bored2k
February 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM
How the heck could you two forget Ninja Gaiden (ARC/NES) ?!

xequence
February 8th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Come on people, you cant add every obscure atari, nes, commodore 64, etc, game that you just pretend to like so you can be one of the "OLD GAMES RULE, NEW GAMES SUCK" people, to the list.

Brunellus
February 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
My ten favorites (in no particular order)....

SimCity (Will Wright, Maxis)
Civilization (Sid Meier, Microprose)
Wing Commander (Chris Roberts, Origin)
Doom (J.Carmack, A. Carmack, J. Romero, id )
Missile Command (Atari)
Contra (Konami)
Star Control II (Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford, Toys for Bob/Accolade. Now open-sourced as the Ur-Quan Masters!)
Command & Conquer (Westwood)
Shogun: Total War (Creative Assembly)
Prince of Persia (Jordan Mechner, Broderbund)

bored2k
February 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Come on people, you cant add every obscure atari, nes, commodore 64, etc, game that you just pretend to like so you can be one of the "OLD GAMES RULE, NEW GAMES SUCK" people, to the list.
No no, they've mention some very valuable and ground-breaking games, not just "any" game. And if it comes to that, older games were arguably a lot more breakthrough at the time of their release. Now there are just, 6,000 clones of Doom, Mario et al.

matthew
February 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Come on people, you cant add every obscure atari, nes, commodore 64, etc, game that you just pretend to like so you can be one of the "OLD GAMES RULE, NEW GAMES SUCK" people, to the list.Yes, I can. :)

Donkey Kong introduced Mario to the world

Eliza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA), the text based pseudo-AI psychologist program was the first I saw that did an okay job at simulating intelligence (okay, gimmie a break, it was 1966. No, I wasn't born yet. I first played it in 1981 and it was still pretty cool.)

Oh...guess mine weren't all that obscure after all. I need to name something like Star Castle. :)

Master Shake
February 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM

BUt the people who made the list did just the opposite, and left the classics off.

Besides, I truly love those games, and to me, they're the best.

All these type lists are subjective anyway.

Master Shake
February 9th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Oh...guess mine weren't all that obscure after all. I need to name something like Star Castle. :)

That game rocked!

And of course, I forgot Angband.

matthew
February 9th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Re: Star Castle

That game rocked!Here's a link to a free flash version...haven't tried it, but it looks cool.

EDIT: Oops...here's the link
http://www.download-free-games.com/online_games/star_castle.htm

Master Shake
February 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Where's the link?

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM
No no, they've mention some very valuable and ground-breaking games, not just "any" game. And if it comes to that, older games were arguably a lot more breakthrough at the time of their release. Now there are just, 6,000 clones of Doom, Mario et al.

I know they are very ground breaking, and I am sure some/many still love them, but I honestly think that a majority of people would rather play Doom 3 over Doom (for example only, I havnt played doom 3 and I dont know how good it accually is).

Besides, I truly love those games, and to me, they're the best.

Then you are one of the people that should post that you like them.

Eliza, the text based pseudo-AI psychologist program was the first I saw that did an okay job at simulating intelligence (okay, gimmie a break, it was 1966. No, I wasn't born yet. I first played it in 1981 and it was still pretty cool.)

Any video game made in 1966 has got to be mentioned somewhere as being revolutionary, and it is just plain cool to play a game that was made so long ago, but aside from the coolness factor of it being from '66, would you rather play that or... Say, UT2007 when it comes out? (Example, you might not like UT, replace it with a game you like and the newest version of it)

Master Shake
February 9th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Then you are one of the people that should post that you like them.

Why? The title of the thread is "Ten Best Games" not "Ten Best for everyone"

Once again... Subjective.

matthew
February 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Where's the link?Oops! I edited the original post as well.

http://www.download-free-games.com/online_games/star_castle.htm

Stormy Eyes
February 9th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for the PS2 friggin' rules.

mstlyevil
February 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Trying to rate the top ten games or even the top one hundred is like the way VH1 rates their top 100. Instead of looking at the actual impact of what each game did at the time they go off what people think about them now. If Packman came out today and had to compete with the Sims or WOW people would say how lame it is compared to these other two games. When I was in High School, Packman set a new standard in game play in graphics and challenge. It is impossible for anyone to really name the top ten games ever unless you just use hard numbers. (Total sales.) Everything else is subjective.

I just take these list with a grain of salt. They obviously are influenced by the small number of people who had input into determining their conclusion but do not actually represent what the majority of gamers think.

xequence
February 9th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Why? The title of the thread is "Ten Best Games" not "Ten Best for everyone"

Once again... Subjective.

But the 10 best is the writers opinion. This whole thing is about opinions.

matthew
February 9th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Trying to rate the top ten games or even the top one hundred is like the way VH1 rates their top 100. Instead of looking at the actual impact of what each game did at the time they go off what people think about them now. If Packman came out today and had to compete with the Sims or WOW people would say how lame it is compared to these other two games. When I was in High School, Packman set a new standard in game play in graphics and challenge. It is impossible for anyone to really name the top ten games ever unless you just use hard numbers. (Total sales.) Everything else is subjective.

I just take these list with a grain of salt. They obviously are influenced by the small number of people who had input into determining their conclusion but do not actually represent what the majority of gamers think.Oh, sure. Get all logical and intelligent on us. :) :)

Tharkun
February 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM
How the heck could you two forget Ninja Gaiden (ARC/NES) ?!

Well, I didn't want to have a huge list of ever game I thought warrented inclusion so I had to make some difficult choices.

nrwilk
February 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
here's mine:

Super Mario 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Rogue
Angband
Diablo I ( Way better than Diablo II, in every single aspect. WAY better. )
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Warcraft II ( Maybe not a big one for many, but this is my list, and OHHH man, my friends and I spent many, many sleepless nights playing Warcraft II. Love this game. )
Sim City 2000
Escape Velocity: Override & EV: Nova ( Mac games from Ambrosia. Awesome. )

Jedeye
February 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM
#96: Grim Fandango - PC

Thats what I'm talking about... good fun old school lucas arts game. would recomend to anyone.

bbqbaker
February 14th, 2006, 04:11 AM
i really enjoyed playing sukoidan 2 i think and vandal hearts...

Cesium
February 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM
No list is accurate without X-Com: UFO Defense in the top 10. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Deaf_Head
February 14th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Way to go generic console gaming list.

mstlyevil
February 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Oh, sure. Get all logical and intelligent on us. :) :)

Never accuse me of being logical and intelligent. Then people will expect too much out of me. :confused:

matthew
February 14th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Never accuse me of being logical and intelligent. Then people will expect too much out of me. :confused:ROTFL

digitalsy
February 15th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Just realized, no one ever mentioned System Shock 1, or 2...

Gustav
February 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
No Civilisation (or FreeCiv), no Duke Nukem, no Ice Hockey (NES), no Minesweeper (any), no Scorched Earth, no Elastomania (or Action Super Cross or XMoto), no Day of the Tentacle (or Sam & Max or any Monkey Island), no the Settlers(1 or 2 that is)....

The list goes on.

drucer
February 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Ultima V.

TeeAhr1
February 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Pete's Top Ten Video Games of Forever:

#10 -Wolfenstein 3D: **** on your CounterStrike. The hell with Resident Evil. **** Doom. It started here. We love to kill the Nazis.
#9 - Mario Kart 64: Eight characters, sixteen levels. A lifetime of discovery. As fresh today as it was the day it shipped. I don't care who you are, how many hours you've logged, we are all still learning Mario Kart.
#8 - Final Fantasy 1: Forever changed the way video RPGs are made. Granddaddy of the genre.
#7 - Baldur's Gate Series: Remember what I was saying about Final Fantasy? This game changed everything. Again.
#6 - Tetris: The game that spawned the synonym "crack" for video games. The first game for which there were recovery groups.
#5 - Super Mario 3: You don't even have to like it. Given the time and the technology, hands down the most innovative game ever. Ever.
#4 - Grand Theft Auto Series: Completely immersive, worlds unto themselves. Great storylines. Characters with character. What else do you need?
#3 - Civilization Series: What can I say that hasn't been said? Build 'em. Grow 'em. Kill 'em. Do it again. And again. And again. Fifteen years later, it's still getting better. Civ 4 is revolutionizing TBS all over again.
#2 - Galaga: The #1 game of 1981. Put Namco on the map. Still the top-grossing arcade game in history. Bigger than Space Invaders, bigger than Pac-Man. Out there eating quarters somewhere right now.
#1 - Nethack: The deepest game in the world. Twenty-two years of development and counting. People play this game for ten years without beating it once. Welcome to Nethack!

Bragador
February 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I don't agree with the list.

They didn't even list any infocom game (zork was a milestone and quite good, I tried it a couple of months ago) and I heard A Mind Forever Voyaging was astonishing ans still is (will have to try that this summer).

And WHERE is Planescape Torment ? This is the best game ever in my opinion. A quest to understand who you are, now THAT's different.

Poldi
March 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
1) Master Of Magic
2) Civilization
3) Ultima VI
4) Ultima VII
5) Nethack
6) Cauldron 2 (C64)
7) Elite
8) Lode Runner (Apple II)
9) Manic Miner (Amstrad CPC)
10 Zork 1-3

11) Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic
12) Spindizzy
13) Colonization
14) Planescape Tourment
15) Alpha Centauri

I wonder how anybody could possibly disagree ;-)

interestingly, I have all of the above running on my Ubuntu desktop.

Rumor
March 20th, 2006, 03:59 PM
11) Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic

interestingly, I have all of the above running on my Ubuntu desktop.

How did you get AoW:SM running? This is the only game from Windows that I really, *really* miss. I would love to be able to play it again.

rcmiv
March 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Here's mine for what it's worth. I know there's 11.

Ultima II - V (C64)
Infocom (Zork, entire catalog) (C64, various others)
Nethack (PC)
Doom (PC)
Quake (PC)
Pharoah (PC)
Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES)
Tomb Raider (PS)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Jumpman (C64)
Shadowrun (SNES)

mentionable others:
Baldur's Gate (et al.) (PC)
Raiden (Coin-Op, SNES)
Stargate Defender (Coin-Op)
Super Mario Bros. (SNES)
Miner 2049'er (C64)
Mule (C64)
Archon (C64)
Planescape: Torment (PC)
Warcraft II (PC)
Age of Empires (PC)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Vandal Hearts (SNES)
Psychonauts (PC)
Resident Evil (PS)
Syndicate Wars (PS)
Unreal (PC)
Serious Sam (PC)
Montezuma's Revenge (C64)
Half-Life (PC)

-rcmiv

Zeroangel
March 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Shadowrun
Soul Blade (the predesessor to Soul Calibur)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Wipeout XL
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Super Mario 3
Phantasy Star II
Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri
Street Fighter 2
Final Fantasy Series
Zelda Link to the Past & Ocarina of Time
Metal Gear Solid 2
Timesplitters

Stormy Eyes
March 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
If you've got a PS2, try Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. They're a set of occult RPGs set in World War I-era Asia and Europe.

Poldi
March 24th, 2006, 11:35 AM
How did you get AoW:SM running? This is the only game from Windows that I really, *really* miss. I would love to be able to play it again.

you got me. "running on my Ubuntu desktop" has distinctively different meanings from game to game. in case of AOW:SM this means VMWare Player / VMWare 5.0. not the best solution, but fast enough on a 1,2 Ghz Thinkpad.

AoW2:WT with the same engine runs with wine/cedega. there is even a Linux installer for it on Sourceforge. I hope the authors invest some more time in this and make it support AOW:SM. as of now, with a modified startscript from AOW2 I get AOW:SM to start in Ubuntu, but it hangs at scenario selection.

this was my last reason to dual-boot, as well. but vmware works good enough including all types of network play and if you didn't know: vmware player is free.

kind regards,
Poldi

rcmiv
March 30th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I was thinking more about my list, and realized that most of these can be run on the ubuntu desktop:

Ultima II - V (C64)
via VICE, they all run beautifully

Infocom (Zork, entire catalog) (C64, various others)
many option here, all run nicely, and BTW, "No computer should be without one."

Nethack (PC)
obvious - if you've not ascended at least once, you have no right to claim to be a "gamer". Personally, I have 3 Valk ascensions, and am working on a monk.

Doom (PC)
I assume it runs native, or use dosbox.

Quake (PC)
Runs great!

Pharoah (PC)
Runs in wine but crappily, I have achieved decent performance with win95 in wmware

Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (SNES)
zsnes rules

Tomb Raider (PS)
hmm...haven't done PS emulation on ubuntu yet. Bet it's out there somewhere.

Super Metroid (SNES)
zsnes

Jumpman (C64)
VICE, man this thing is _still_ addictive

Shadowrun (SNES)
zsnes

between zsnes and VICE you could play for months.
WarcraftII works great in vmware or wine btw.

-rcmiv

YuHoo
March 30th, 2006, 05:13 AM
#9: Halo: Combat Evolved - XBOX

Any game I can beat the hardest difficulty on in under 15 hours does not deserve top 100... besides, it always gave me a migraine (extra incentive to finish it quickly)

Gamespot has a much better list, anything that doesn't have MechWarrior on it is not a list. I loved MechWarrior II and mercenaries, there is nothing better than freelancing 100 tons of pure butt-whooping sweetness.

Freespace 2 also pushed the edge of gaming. And as surprising as it sounds, microsoft has released the source as well as making it free at this abandon-ware site
http://209.120.136.195/game.php?id=4150

Unreal Tournament series definitely gets my vote for the best series of games ever produced. Followed by Doom/Quake.

8bit
May 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I have to give props to Dungeon Master from FTL on the Atari ST. Damn that game is good!

kanem
May 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
If you've got a PS2, try Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant. They're a set of occult RPGs set in World War I-era Asia and Europe.
Based on the good reviews those of those games I recently bought them. Haven't played Covenant yet but.. did you find the first too linear? I found that it took next to no thinking. I almost couldn't do anything wrong. And the dialog was very cheesy. I started to respect it more towards the end. Maybe I'll like Covenant better.

Oh, and my vote for three of the best games goes to the Marathon (http://www.bungie.net/Games/Marathon/) trilogy. Doom era FPS for Macs that were much better than Doom. They were done by Bungie, same team responsible for Halo. I still play them now on Ubuntu.

They have been freewared and are installable on any modern distro withouth too much trouble. Unfortunately, sometime after MS bought Bungie most references to the fact that these games play natively on Linux (instead of just mac/windows) have been dissapeared. If anyone wants to try just ask and I'll give specific instructions.

Stormy Eyes
May 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Based on the good reviews those of those games I recently bought them. Haven't played Covenant yet but.. did you find the first too linear? I found that it took next to no thinking. I almost couldn't do anything wrong. And the dialog was very cheesy. I started to respect it more towards the end. Maybe I'll like Covenant better.

Covenant is superior to the first Shadow Hearts. You could probably get through it "without thinking" as well, but doing so will make the endgame a lot harder, as you'll miss out on spells, equipment, etc.

ComplexNumber
May 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM
i prefer the old games:

1) golden axe
2) phoenix
3) pac man
4) galaxian
5) planetoid on bbc micro (acornsoft)
6) monsters on bbc micro (acornsoft)
7) xsoldier
8) any chess
9) any scrabble
10) powermanga (?)

Compucore
May 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Mine would have been Doom and sequels, Quake sequels, and Tron 2.0 personally. I don't always agree with listing that are up always since they are probably going by sales or something similar to that for each game. But thats just me. Also it would be great that if most of the larger companies would take a look into linux as a alternative for games. So we can get more of a variety of things. And we wouldn't have to go under wine to play them.

Compucore

paul cooke
May 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Prince of Persia (the original DOS CGA version)
Harpoon 386
PGA Tour Golf (the old floppy disk DOS version)
F19 Stealth Fighter
Red Storm Rising
Renegade Legion: Interceptor
Flight Sim 5.1
Sim City 2000
X Wing
Railroad Tycoon
Descent
Doom
Lemmings
Civilisation
One Must Fall 2097

Graphics may have improved immensely since then, but those listed above had gameplay to the max... and I value gameplay way over graphics :)

centered effect
May 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Wow what a list.

None of my favorites listed at all though..

Commander Keen
Castle Wolfenstien (the first version not RTCW)
Strife
Quake 2,3
Jedi Knight 2
Jedi Academy (or jk3)
Unreal Tournement and UT2k3/4
Jade Empire
the list can go on......

graigsmith
May 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM
system shock's not even on it.

Rhapsody
May 19th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Damn, this is subject I have a lot to say about. I think I'll have to address the GameFAQs list later. For now, I have compiled a personal top 10 of my favourite games. I've probably left some out, and this changes pretty much by the hour, but here it is for now. First, honourable mentions (the platforms listed are what I played them on, not necessarily the only one they're available for).

Transport Tycoon Deluxe (PC)

This was a real favourite of mine for a long time, starting with the original Transport Tycoon for DOS and moving on to the Deluxe edition for Windows. It misses out on the top 10 due to infuritating bugs that were only fixed with unofficial add-ons such as TTDPatch and OpenTTD, which I disqualified for the purposes of this list. Still an excellent game though.

Rez (PS2)

One seriously underrated game that I'm still playing. It's extremely weird, but also very intuitive. It misses out on the top 10 due to a lack of length, which is really needed for a top 10 game. Still, it didn't deserve to sell as badly as it did. UGA never got any love...

Mario Kart DS (DS)

Newest game in the list, and the best Mario Kart game ever (including Super Mario Kart). It's good great graphics, good sound, the best physics engine in the Mario Kart series, and online play! Why did this miss out on the the top 10? I don't really know, it just didn't give me the feeling higher games did.

Soul Calibur II (GC)

Forget Tekken, this is the Namco fighting series that I'm interested in. I may not be very good at it, but I can easily appriciate the effort that Namco put into this. The graphics are superb, the music is awesome, the gameplay is fresh and precise, and it actually has some plot behind the fighting. 3D fighters aren't really my cut of tea though, so it only gets an honourable mention.

Super Metroid (SNES)

Finally! My favourite console gets a mention! Well what is there to say? Gameplay, graphics, length, feeling, it's got everything you'd want. I've spent hours and hours on this and still not got a perfect playthrough. It only just misses out on the top 10, and not through lack of trying.

Super Mario 64 (N64)

My first Nintendo 64 game, and my first fifth generation game. I still have it after all this time. The gameplay is slick, the graphics are superb for a launch title, the music has some tracks that I still listen to, and it's surprisingly replayable. This was very nearly #10, and it only misses out because I forgot about the game that ended up above it.

Now, after I take a little rest, the top 10!

Banjo-Kazooie (N64)

This is the only Nintendo 64 game I ever sold, and I have no idea why I did it. The gameplay is more refined than Super Mario 64, the characters are superbly enjoyable, the graphics are better, the sound is better, and you can do more stuff. It's just a better game, and that qualifies it for the top 10. I should really try to complete Banjo-Tooie some day...

SimCity 3000 UK Edition (PC)

Now we move back to the PC with Transport Tycoon's eternal rival, the SimCity series. With SimCity 3000, the Maxis series managed to win out and has stayed on top. Despite massive stability problems, the gameplay itself is solid and so it makes #9. It's a game that makes you micromanage a city, which I actually find relaxing. The music fits in with this, the graphics are good without being overly flashy, and it's the first SimCity game in which I've been able to build a stable city. (Note to self: Find that Linux version.)

Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)

A massive change in pace for #8, with one of the fastest games I've ever played. Despite occasional bugs and frustrations (an increase in these for Burnout Revenge ruined that game for me), the overall experience with this game was one of awe. The frame rate hardly ever slows at all, the gameplay is shamlessly aggressive, and I actually happen to like the slightly inappropriate music. It couldn't get any higher, but #8 is superb anyway.

Devil May Cry (PS2)

For a long time, my favourite PS2 game (a crown that Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening failed to claim due to an insane learning curve) this one actually has some flaws in retrospect. The gameplay feels a bit wooden these days, and the voice acting ranges from the hilarious to the cringe-worthy. Despite that, it makes up with the superb graphical design and gameplay that is still so fun. It's not aged as well as others, but it can still rock it even now.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

The top-placed fighter and GameCube title is Nintendo's hectic tribute to itself. The graphics are so well done I see little room for improvement, the gameplay is incredibly tight and easy to use, the music is as good as expected, and it's a blast for multiplayer. It's gotten nearly 200 hours of power on time over here, making it a very worthy #6. I really do think Super Smash Bros. Brawl could shake up this list once comes out, especially if it improves on Super Smash Bros. Melee like that improved on Super Smash Bros.

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (PS2)

It seems to me that Pandemic Studios simply had an idea one day to make a game about blowing stuff up in various amusing ways, and Mercenaries was the results. It's an absolute riot, and the gameplay bugs add more than they take away in this game. But once you settle down, there's an actual game with proper objectives that require amounts of strategy and skill to complete. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames may actually make me get a PS3 someday...

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)

The greatest 2D platformer ever. Period. Brilliant artistic innovation on the graphics, a whimsical feel, and excellent boss fights to boot. This is Nintendo at its absolute best. Anyone who hates this has a heart as black as coal.

Chrono Trigger (SNES)

My perpetual #2 RPG, this really does have no flaws that I can spot. The story is engrossing without being overly complex, the cast is amazing, the graphics are some of the best on the SNES, the soundtrack is absolutely brilliant, the gameplay engine remains one of the best, and it actually has replayability! In an RPG! It's a proper travesty that this has been continually overlooked for a PAL release or any kind of remake. Wake up Square-Enix! We want more!

Tales of Phantasia (SNES)

This arrived on my PC with DeJap's translation patch in 2001, and quickly became my favourite game. A position it held for nearly FOUR YEARS. The graphics were a technical leap for the SNES, the soundtrack consistantly excels, the gameplay is so good Namco actually named and patented the system, the plot is the best I've seen in a video game, and I actually began to feel for the characters as the game went on. Arche Klaine remains my favourite ever video game character. An absolute stunner of a game that held on to the #1 spot for an amazing period of time.

God of War (PS2)

I always knew that Tales of Phantasia would eventually be toppled, but I had no idea that it would be by an American action adventure game. But, it happened. God of War has the best gameplay engine I've ever had the pleasure of using, the soundtrack won gaming awards, the voice acting is astonishingly good for a video game, the plot (centered around ancient Greek mythology) is better than I could've ever expected in this genre, and Kratos is only second to Arche Klaine in my favoruite video game characters. SCEA absolutely outdid themselves with this, and I can only hope God of War 2 can be as good.

Well, that's it. No Final Fantasy VII (I hate that game), no GTA games (I don't like them enough), no MGS games (never played most of them), and no Final Fantasy X (despite spending over 100 hours on it, the plot fell apart near the end, disqualifying it).

RavenOfOdin
May 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
My favorites would have to go as follows:

1. Final Fantasy 7 -- PS
2. Chrono Trigger -- SNES
3. Silent Hill 2 -- PC ([censored]ing creepy! :eek:)
4. Doom 3 -- PC
5. Chrono Cross -- PS
6. Halo -- PC (Whod'a thunk Microsoft would actually make something worth wasting time with? :p Its only flaw is that if you beat it once you've pretty much played it out.)
7. Final Fantasy 3/6 -- SNES
8. Metal Gear -- NES
9. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron -- N64
10. River City Ransom -- NES

Virak
May 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM
6. Halo -- PC (Whod'a thunk Microsoft would actually make something worth wasting time with? :p Its only flaw is that if you beat it once you've pretty much played it out.)They didn't; Bungie made it and they just got their name on it because they bought Bungie. And that flaw is easily fixed by multiplayer. :P

Back on topic, the list is like that because most people at GameFAQs play console games a lot more than they do PC games.

Also (this is directed at the 'lol ur list is teh sux' people), let's not criticize other peoples' favorites. Your opinions aren't any better than theirs.

My list, in no particular order:

Baldur's Gate 2
Halo
Halo 2
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Legaia
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Metal Gear Solid
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Nethack

There's lots more I'd like to add, but I want to keep this fairly short.

EDIT: Knew I forgot something.

Sushi
May 19th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Where in $DEITY name is Elite?! That game should be on anyones #1 spot! Well, unless you are a young whippersnapper. It seems to me that what we have here is a bunch of young console-gamers thinking about what are the greatest games. Sure, those games are good, but I see very few GREAT games.

If you asked me for top10 games, it would look something like this:

1. Elite
2. Civilization (all of them)
3. Ultima V
4. Ultima IV
5. MechWarrior
6. Dungeon Master
7. Empire
8. Fallout (both of them)
9. Syndicate
10. Alter Ego

That's about it. Can't comment on console-games though

richbarna
May 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
My top Games would be :-

1. Dungeon Keeper II on PC - Brilliant internet multi player
2. Dungeon Keeper on PC
3. Goldeneye on N64 - Hours and Hours in 4 player mode.
4. Duke Nukem on PC - Exploration and Hidden objects.
5. Super Mario Karts on SNES - Multi Player battle mode.
6. Perfect Dark on N64 - Goldeneye follow up.
7. Mortal Kombat on SNES - Best fighting game at the time
8. Uplink on PC - Virtual hacking game
9. Travian on internet - Build a village and army role player
10. Risk II on Linux - World domination bard game copy

zugu
May 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Have you guys seen the CNET "greatest games of the last decade" list? You can find it here: http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6310088-1.html?tag=bottom

CNET top:

10. The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time
9. Grand Theft Auto III
8. Metal Gear Solid
7. Halo
6. EverQuest
5. Madden NFL Football
4. Quake
3. The Sims
2. Starcraft
1. Half-Life

My top:

10. Delta Force
9. Homeworld / Homeworld 2
8. NFS II / NFS Porsche
7. Diablo II
6. Half-Life 2
5. Another World (DOS game)
4. The King of Fighters (series) / Street Fighter II
3. Warcraft II
2. Quake / Quake II
1. Half-Life

graigsmith
May 20th, 2006, 02:22 AM
here is my nostalgic list, in no particular order. some of my most favorite games.

gradius 3
super castlevania (you know the one with the whip)
system shock 1&2
zelda series.
metroid series.
ultima underworld 1&2
kings quest series
lands of lore (captain picard helped to voice the cd rom version)
legend of kyrandia series
out of this world.

encho
May 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
CNET's list is much more accurate. If we are talking about best games EVER, so any of the games in the list should be one of the games that made some kind of hallmark in gaming history.

So no list is complete without such titles as Pacman, Pong, Space Invaders, Warcraft, Spacecraft, Tetris, Dungeon Keeper, Sims, Worms, Tomb Raider (ok I know), Duke Nukem, Quake, UT, Half Life, ...

You may love them, hate them, laugh at them, but must admit they were most talked about in their era.

biarritz
May 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
:D
01. Final Fantasy VII
02. Deus Ex

arsenic23
May 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Everyone's lists lacks BurgerTime !!
Everyone is uninformed.

( Also Tapper and other great games. Classic arcade games are better then everything. )

sharperguy
July 10th, 2006, 04:05 PM
One of my fave ever games is Metal Gear Solid

It really sucks that the remake - Twin Snakes - is only going to be on gamecube

Age of Empires 2, and Baldurs Gate 2 should be higher

edit: encho - where's galaxian? Also, Prince of Persia, was pretty much the original Tomb Raider

G Morgan
July 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Come on Starcraft the best PC game of all time. Who on Earth wrote this list. Starcraft isn't in the top 10 RTS list (it's a good game but like all of the *craft series, a distraction rather than the pinnicle). Wheres C&C (RA at 75 with Starcraft at 18) the game that made the series, wheres Total Annihilation or R:TW or Civilisation (ok no RTS but strategy). What about Freespace 2 or Quake 2. Half Life at 31 and below HL 2 is a joke.

I mean how can you have Goldeneye at 7 and Half Life at 31. Looks like a weak console game love in to be honest. A sucession of samey games made for people who'd prefer not to think. The best thing is in all the Zelda games in there they missed the best one in Links Awakening for the Gameboy. Ahh I just saw Diablo 2 above Baldurs Gate 2 and with Torment nowhere in sight. I'm going to kill myself now, I can't bare to live with this.

G Morgan
July 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
By the way my top ten looks thus:

1. UFO:Enemy Unknown - the first XCOM game enough said
2. Rome:Total War - recent one, I find it improves on Medieval enough to displace it
3. Mechwarrior2/Mercenaries - my first gaming obsession. The Atlas is iconic.
4. Baldur's Gate 1/2 - the second one especially rules, lost plenty of hours on this though 1 was unbalanced slightly.
5. Planescape:Torment - how many games can make an immortal feel vulnerable
6. Civilisation 2 - the most iconic of the series
7. Quake 2 - took a promising game and added an actual single player mode and brough back the BFG
8. Total Annihilation - C&C built the house, TA took the house and made it so much better that all that was left was to copy it.
9. Half Life - probably the most influential FPS after Quake and Doom
10. FFX - yes a console game, only FF manages to take a story the size of the universe then make it entirely about you.

encho
July 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM
encho - where's galaxian? Also, Prince of Persia, was pretty much the original Tomb Raider

:) This is not full list. I loved Baldur's Gate, Might&Magic 7-9, System Shock 2, Theme Hospital, Wings (old Amiga game), but that just me :)

Footissimo
July 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
The list is rather skewed towards 'newer' games, though I agree with FF7 being #1 - I bought a playstation just for that game :)

Games I would add (somewhere):

Alternate Reality - The City (http://www.eobet.com/alternate-reality/) (Atari 8bit version) - mid 80's 1st person RPG, at the time it was just astonishing.

Battlezone (http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/battlezone/review.html?sid=2538156&print=1) - 1st person FPS / RPG hybrid. Loads of awards. Few users (probably due to the name, stupid activision)

M.U.L.E (http://www.worldofmule.net/) - early 80's MP strat game.

Just my 2p, off course

mfarquhar
July 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
HALO(PC)= Awesomeness 8)

frodon
July 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hehe, on the top of the "best games ever seen" list, without any doubts (for me ;) ) :
Counter Strike