PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to switch from Perl to Python!

arist0tle
July 22nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
I have been debating whether to start using Python more. I am pretty addicted to Perl and use it for about everything. I have read quite a bit about Python and want some input from everyone. Thanks!

sdennie
July 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Moved to Programming Talk. Also, if you like perl, I would stick with it. It's a great language. ;)

Joeb454
July 22nd, 2008, 03:11 AM
You have a very biased opinion on that though vor.

Though vor-bot was awesome

slavik
July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
I'm with vor. :)

Can+~
July 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
Only you can make that decision. If you're on ubuntu, you can try out the syntax right out of the box (using the python interactive prompt (python on the shell)) and see if you like it.

*edit*
Here's a sort-of objective comparison from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_programming_languages

ibuclaw
July 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
Perl!!!

Xiong Chiamiov
July 22nd, 2008, 03:23 AM
Though Perl definitely has its strong points, I recommend a lot of people to Python, because of my (rather limited) experience with it, and also because I respect Eric S. Raymond, and he highly recommends it (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882).

Now, which is better for you is entirely up to:
a) what you're doing with it and
b) what kind of person you are

Certain people just seemed more fitted more certain languages (everyone thinks a certain way, and we as humans are often quite different from each other). For me, though I'm learning basic Perl, I'm much more attracted to Python, mostly because it seems like someone took all of the super-annoying things in other languages and got rid of them.

tamoneya
July 22nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
http://xkcd.com/353/

I am much more familiar with python than perl but from my experience it is just the next step in programming language development after perl. I find it to be a little bit more powerful but perl runs on everything and still has its uses. Sometimes python may be a bit more than you need. I dont think it would be a good idea for me to convince you to change to python. Instead it would be best if you just tried it. They both have their uses. Once you learn python then you can use the one that is best suited for each problem you encounter.

LaRoza
July 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM
I have been debating whether to start using Python more. I am pretty addicted to Perl and use it for about everything. I have read quite a bit about Python and want some input from everyone. Thanks!

Try out both. If you already know Perl, Python is simple (works the other way also). The real problem is what would be the advantage? My Perl attempts were half hearted as Perl didn't really offer anything new to me. You may find reasons to continue with Python as you go, and you may not. The only way is to try.

I am still eventually going to do EasyGUI in Perl, but I am really slow in development now...

loell
July 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM
stay with perl and be a CPAN contributor. :)

Xiong Chiamiov
July 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM
Moved to Programming Talk. Also, if you like perl, I would stick with it. It's a great language. ;)
(OT)

Oh wait, when did you become staff vor? Or have you always been, and I just didn't notice?

LaRoza
July 22nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
(OT)

Oh wait, when did you become staff vor? Or have you always been, and I just didn't notice?

Just today (or within 24 hours, if the "day" concept isn't valid because of timezones)

See Cafe for thread welcoming new mods.

ghostdog74
July 22nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Moved to Programming Talk.
it should be in somewhere else.

LaRoza
July 22nd, 2008, 05:01 AM

/dev/null?

ghostdog74
July 22nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
/dev/null?

i am not that cruel. Maybe some other forums where people talk trash.

tamoneya
July 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
i am not that cruel. Maybe some other forums where people talk trash.

it doesnt seem like trash to me. It seems like legitimate talking.

bodhi.zazen
July 22nd, 2008, 05:08 AM

Seems reasonable here ...

LaRoza
July 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM

Eh. The subject isn't really that fitting.

I'd suggest the OP to read the stickies (See the ones about Python and Perl, why to Love/Hate) and just try it. Not worth making a thread about it.

pmasiar
July 22nd, 2008, 05:18 AM
I have been debating whether to start using Python more. I am pretty addicted to Perl

Perl and Python are very close. If you know Perl and like it, there is no reason to switch to Python - but when you want to switch, it will be easy.

Look at the projects you like, and use language they prefer.

That said, I used Perl before and now I prefer Python, because code is more readable: Perl is way too flexible and quirky (which is bad for big projects), and many programmers use different styles, while in Python, it is easier to read other people's code.

But if you like Perl, I do not see a reason to switch. See "Why I love/hate Perl" and "Why... Python" in sticky FAQ for discussion and continue discussion there, so we can avoid religious wars.

tiachopvutru
July 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
1. They both start with P, so they are very similar.
2. Python has more letters, so it must be better.
3. Python has more syllables, so it must be better.
4. Alongside learning Python, you will learn some kind of strange humor involving "spam" as referenced to some kind of TV show.

ghostdog74
July 22nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

you should know that such topics will lead to nowhere. It should be in Ongoing discussions (i remember something like that).

LaRoza
July 22nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
you should know that such topics will lead to nowhere. It should be in Ongoing discussions (i remember something like that).

bodhi.zazen doesn't spend much time here ;)

It is Recurring Discussions actually.

escapee
July 22nd, 2008, 05:43 AM
My only convincing statement:
Do it, you won't!