PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sansa e280 only allows read-only access

limberlegs
July 22nd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hi, all.

After hours of searching and getting nowhere, I'm hoping a post of my own can help me with my dilemma.

When I connect my Sansa e280 mp3 player, Ubuntu will not allow me to add files to the drive. It tells me that the filesystem is "read-only."

Under MSC mode I have tried numerous things:

- mount and unmount, reset the computer, reconnect
- put the Sansa into recovery mode, mount/unmount, reconnect
- updated the firmware, tried both steps above
- I have also tried to connect the drive in MTP mode (which allegedly works in Hardy?) to no avail.

The strange thing is I have had success with this player when using earlier versions of Ubuntu. I have installed Hardy after a several-month Ubuntu hiatus, and I cannot get this thing to work!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

phidia
July 22nd, 2008, 01:54 AM
See if this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=771952&highlight=E280) is of use to you. Hope that helps.

limberlegs
July 22nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. I tried what the link above suggests, and it seems to cause Rhythmbox to crash. I ran rhythmbox before selecting the plugin, selected the plugin, connected the Sansa, and Rhythmbox froze. I did a force quit on Rhythmbox and tried to reload it, but it wouldn't even start.

Any thoughts?

NewDisciple
July 22nd, 2008, 05:39 AM
Here are two links that might help:ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713834&highlight=Sandisk& ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713834&highlight=SandiskI think these help with syncing playlists etc. If you have installed nautilus scripts it is very easy to right click select scripts & then rootilus. Once you are root right click, properties, permissions and give your self write priviledges or do the same thing from the command line-

sudo passwd root

sudo chmod 777 -R /media/PATHTO
Do this while it is mounted.
I believe that Sansdisk would be the media name. Maybe someone else can verify or not. Maybe its just media, not sure. Hope this helps. I can read & write on mine but its been a while so I don't remember exactly.

limberlegs
July 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. When I tried to force write access through the command-line as you suggest, a very strange thing occurs. It says that 'Sansa e280' (the name given to the device) does not exist, even though it lists it when I run the command 'ls' on /media.

Another thing:

I tried to use the Sansa on an installation of Xubuntu 7.10, and it worked perfectly. It seems that this problem is something specific to Hardy Heron.

NewDisciple
July 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Two more links (don't know if that helps or not):ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713834&highlight=Sandisk & http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312196&highlight=sansa
The only other thing I can think of trying, is open the media file & then sansa e280. Take each file in that, right click, pick properties & then permissions tab. Maybe it will let you change them without being root???
Are you using gnome? I find that for me it is much easier to do this stuff with nautilus scripts. I'm not really a command line guy as I don't often have a need for it. Rather than waste time looking for bash commands I just rely on the scripts.
Regarding the link about adding a script to your Sansdisk for Banshee & Rhythm Box; I think it no longer applies to Banshee. Rhythm Box works fine however. Wish I could be of more help but thats all I got.

limberlegs
July 23rd, 2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have indeed read both of those posts, and unfortunately neither addresses my specific problem.

In my case, the drive seems to mount just fine, but it only allows me read-only access.

Perhaps I'll grant myself root access BEFORE mounting the drive, and see if that works.

Again, to all: any help is greatly appreciated.

limberlegs
July 23rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
OK, I gave myself superuser access by going to Terminal and typing "sudo su". Unfortunately, the player still says "the filesystem is read-only". I also tried right-clicking on the MUSIC folder and editing the permissions. It says that I (the owner) have permission to "create and delete files" under "folder access", and under file access it says "---". When I try to change the root user's permissions, it returns this:

"Sorry, couldn't change the permissions of "MUSIC": Error setting permissions: Read-only file system"

Any thoughts?

koenbeek
August 30th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Maybe there are some error on the Sansa drive

sudo fsck.msdos -a /dev/sdf1

can correct this

/dev/sfd1 is the device corresponding to your Sansa (use df when the Sansa is mounted to see whether it is the same)

kellingt
March 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Well, that certainly helped me. Thanks for the tip koenbeek!!!