PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kdm theme manager won't apply new themes

Bosonator
July 22nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hiya,

At my KDE login screen, I used to have the nice variant on the default kubuntu theme (called "Kubuntu O2 - No Userlist"). Upon upgrading to Hardy, it no longer displays that theme. If I have "kde-kdm-themes" installed, I can use the login themes included in that package, but nothing else seems to work. Any fixes? Thx!

Sword2
July 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
make sure that you have Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg line in the /etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc file and in same path you have the file kdmrc with the following lines under the [X-*-Greeter] section:
Theme=@@@ToBeReplacedByDesktopBase@@@
UseTheme=true

After that reboot.

Then you can use the Theme manager to change themes. If you use the login manager to change the background (wallpaper) to something else than what it's set to you will mess it up again. Yes, they messed that up since Feisty and havent fixed it since.

Enjoy.:)

tim71
August 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hiya,

At my KDE login screen, I used to have the nice variant on the default kubuntu theme (called "Kubuntu O2 - No Userlist"). Upon upgrading to Hardy, it no longer displays that theme. If I have "kde-kdm-themes" installed, I can use the login themes included in that package, but nothing else seems to work. Any fixes? Thx!

It seems that KDM theme manager has a supid bug that causes the theme path to be written into /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc inside a quotation marks -
like this

Theme="/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/skyline"

when it supposed to be like this

Theme=/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/skyline

If this path defined with quotation marks, KDM displays error message

Cannot open theme file "/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/skyline"

Someone could post a bug or something.

Until it's fixed the easyest way is to edit kdmrc manually...

ChompTheMan
August 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I reported this a while ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdmtheme/+bug/222754