PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error in installiation

dougydecimate
July 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM
So, a friend of mine is trying to install Ubuntu on his desktop and is having a few problems. When he boots his computer with the disc (not the livecd, he has the burnt one you download) it starts to install the OS like normal, but halfway through it gives him a error. When he tries restarting his computer normally in windows it says "Disk Error" and it won't work until he puts the Ubuntu disc back in.

The error that shows up in the middle of the Ubuntu installation is as followed:

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:

[Errno 5] Input/output error

This particular error is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

I'm guessing the disc he burned is messed up or something? What do you think he should do? Try the alternatate cd?

ibutho
July 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
Has he tried cleaning up the disc, cd/dvd drive and trying a new disc burnt at a lower speed as suggested by the error message?

dougydecimate
July 21st, 2008, 11:42 PM
I suggested it to him, but now its not letting him boot windows. Is there any way he can restore that to burn a new copy?

upchucky
July 21st, 2008, 11:51 PM
the disk is pooched, it may have been burned too fast, 4x or slower.

windows is still there, windows rescue can restore the win bootloader.