PDA

View Full Version : Staple in LCD Screen!! helprs!

uberbuntufan64y
July 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
today i noticed a line in my lcd flat screen... and having a closer look i realized it was a staple! should i remove it or leave it in? i'm not sure what to do :( :confused:

Tom Mann
July 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't want to answer this for fear of answering incorrectly, but if it isn't in the way then I'd leave it well alone...

Canis familiaris
July 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I am as confused as you.

steeleyuk
July 21st, 2008, 07:50 PM
How the hell did a staple get in your screen?

There are other ways of putting it on the wall you know. ;-)

nick09
July 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Maybe you should cut the power to the monitor and remove it(I'm not responsible for anything you do, just for you to know).

It would be better to return for a replacement if you have a warranty. Don't touch it just encase because a warranty can be void easily.

stewiehnz
July 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I've heard and seen measuring of a screen with a scale ruler but never trying to stable things to a screen?:-s

Jordanwb
July 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
How the hell did a staple get in your screen?

I was asking the same thing.

It would be better to return for a replacement if you have a warranty.

I doubt the company will replace it for something like that.

uberbuntufan64y
July 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM
i'm afraid to take it out because the liquid crystals might drain out the holes :sad:

Nano Geek
July 21st, 2008, 10:16 PM
I would leave it in or buy a replacement monitor.
You could check if they would replace the screen for less money than a new monitor costs, but it probably wouldn't be worth your time.

kool_kat_os
July 21st, 2008, 10:22 PM
what the hell....what kind of staple was it? the ones that go in walls...or the ones for papers?

Icehuck
July 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
i'm afraid to take it out because the liquid crystals might drain out the holes :sad:

Most LCD screens a have a few layers of plastic before the liquid crystal. Depending on the staple it might not have punctured far enough. If you don't see any distortion from it now, there most likely will not be any after you remove the staple. Remove at your own risk.

Edit: Just for the heck of it I tried stapling several laptop LCD screens and I can't even get a regular staple to penetrate them. It does break the screen underneath the top layers of plastic though. I'll update when I get one in and see what happens when it comes out.

kevin11951
July 21st, 2008, 10:54 PM
Most LCD screens a have a few layers of plastic before the liquid crystal. Depending on the staple it might not have punctured far enough. If you don't see any distortion from it now, there most likely will not be any after you remove the staple. Remove at your own risk.

Edit: Just for the heck of it I tried stapling several laptop LCD screens and I can't even get a regular staple to penetrate them. It does break the screen underneath the top layers of plastic though. I'll update when I get one in and see what happens when it comes out.

um... what?!

Icehuck
July 21st, 2008, 11:32 PM
um... what?!.

No worries those screens are already broke and awaiting to be replaced under warranty(FYI: normal warranties do not cover this stuff).

Exershio
July 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM

No worries those screens are already broke and awaiting to be replaced under warranty(FYI: normal warranties do not cover this stuff).
Well you probably just voided that warranty lol.

jperez
July 22nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Well you probably just voided that warranty lol.

I think he's paying for that type of warranty that really covers anything under the sun, even user inflicted damage.

They make lots of money off people that bash their computers heads in frequently. :twisted:

Jesse~

uberbuntufan64y
July 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
:(well you see i could remove it but then it might ooze out liquid crystal stuff... its almost right in the middle of the monitor...

saulgoode
July 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Not only would I not remove it, I would probably put some superglue around it to hold it in place (and hopefully prevent spiderwebbing).

Icehuck
July 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I think he's paying for that type of warranty that really covers anything under the sun, even user inflicted damage.

They make lots of money off people that bash their computers heads in frequently. :twisted:

Jesse~

Yeah the company I work is definitely paying for that type of warranty. From the machines I've seen brought in by the sales force, its a good thing too. Laptops have come back after being dropped in a pool, run over by a car, left out in the rain, and dropped off the second floor(apparently a salesman bet another salesman if it would bounce).

well you see i could remove it but then it might ooze out liquid crystal stuff... its almost right in the middle of the monitor...

I tried to reconstruct this with a regular staple and couldn't do it. Regular staples just aren't hard enough to puncture the screen. So it has to be some sort of industrial staple and you should just return it.

uberbuntufan64y
July 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
it looks heavy duty, and there are some rainbow colors around where the staples are poking in... the staple is flat against the screen!

:(

FlyingIsFun1217
July 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Not only would I not remove it, I would probably put some superglue around it to hold it in place (and hopefully prevent spiderwebbing).

I think I'd be saving up money to buy a replacement screen!

FlyingIsFun1217

Prefix100
July 22nd, 2008, 05:53 PM
How the hell?

lol I so want to know how this happened.

gettinoriginal
July 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
LOL, next time try "sticky notes", they are easier to remove, and don't leave anything behind.

uberbuntufan64y
July 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
i just checked the screen is out of warranty :(:(:(

what am i going to do? i'm afraid of further damaging the plasma by taking it out...

would scotch tape work as a bandaid if i took the staple out carefully? it's in there really good...

LookTJ
July 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
i just checked the screen is out of warranty :(:(:(

what am i going to do? i'm afraid of further damaging the plasma by taking it out...

would scotch tape work as a bandaid if i took the staple out carefully? it's in there really good...If you don't know what to do with the staple, I recommend to leave it there depending on where it is placed on the lcd. If you really want to take the staple out, you may a second hand. It's either break the lcd a little bit more or just leave it there.

Also follow the advice of others, I never had gotten anything attached to my laptop's lcd.

uberbuntufan64y
July 23rd, 2008, 03:34 PM
does anyone recommend a tool i could use to take it out? it's really disrupting my ubuntu usage... :(

i really hope this is fixable

nick09
July 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe this:
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4_Staple-Removers_10953_Business_Supplies_0_10051_SC1:CG103 1:CL140862

But the best choice would to be is to get a new monitor if you are so annoyed about it. Or google up a screen replacement tutorial for your monitor. Your monitor will start getting black spots as it has happened to my DS(its easily fixable for the DS). Again save up some cash for a new monitor is the best option.

blueamcat
July 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Yikes, can't say that I've ever had that problem. Did you get it that way? Or was there construction going on at your house? that's probably the wierdest thing I've heard all week.

mailtwogopal
July 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
hi uber,

i once heard of the same problem. Company wont give replacement as this is peculiar. One of my friend's friend had the same problem a year before, he immediately called customer care of company concerned. the reply he got was as all stated here, i.e in some cases the company person will try to take it out but in most of cases do not since taking out leads to plasma damage. Do one thing call ur service people and let them decide. But in my friend's case even service people left staple as it is and even today its working fine as it is since the service person told "they can take it out but in no way they can't assure of monitor condition after removal".

So do call service people and follow their advise.