PDA

View Full Version : How to convert a m4b audiobook to m4a

Jordanwb
July 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have an mp3 player that supports m4a audiobooks. I downloaded an m4b audio book and the mp3 player won't recognize it. Does anyone know how to convert them.

ajgreeny
July 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
Looks like soundconverter or soundkonverter will do the job, though I have never had a m4b file to test it out. In spite of my running gnome, I find that soundkonverter is better than soundconverter, which often leaves me with unusable output files which are too noisy, whilst soundkonveter is great at the same conversion job. No idea why, just what I have found.

mc4100
July 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM
I have an mp3 player that supports m4a audiobooks. I downloaded an m4b audio book and the mp3 player won't recognize it. Does anyone know how to convert them.
Have you tried renaming them from .m4b to .m4a?

I used to do the opposite (.m4a to .m4b) when I was using iTunes, so my files would be classed as "Audiobooks" ... so I assume it would work. Another point, if you bought them online (like from Audible) chances are they're wrapped in D.R.M. and will not play anyway.

amoocool
September 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
mplayer /Path to file/name.m4b -vo null -aopcm:file=/path to file/name.wav

This will give you a wav file and then convert it in anything you need.

sassur
September 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
m4b and m4a is the same format, it's just that ipod places the m4b files in the audiobook category

as said above just rename the m4b to m4a

qazwsx
September 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Nice work Apple (tags would be much more suitable) another way to cause problems with mpeg4 standard!