PDA

View Full Version : [other] Wubi...

jost1989
July 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Can anyone tell me what Wubi is and if its truly safe to use? I've been trying to install Ubuntu on my computer for a few days now, but evertyhing I try gives me more problems. I love Ubuntu I've had it on a desktop for over a year now and love it, but I can't get it installed on my laptop.

Thanks ya'll,
Jo Saint

avtolle
July 21st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Wubi is, for sake of simplicity, an .exe that installs Ubuntu "within Windows". Generally, a "virtual" hard drive is created on the HDD for Ubuntu to install and run on. It has proven safe for me, running under Vista. The Ubuntu runs "natively", and the one area of performance degradation is, for me, HDD access, but it is not bad.

I will caution that a Wubi install might not be any better for you than what you've tried to date. Thus, if the problem installing involves, e.g., SATA drives, the problem will still be there. You might want to take a look at the Wubi Forum for information.

jost1989
July 21st, 2008, 07:21 PM
The main problem that I've been having is that the cd that I've burned wont work. I've done it in an ISO file, I think a .gi file the form that it was when I downloaded... any ideas?

uidb4056
July 21st, 2008, 11:01 PM
The main problem that I've been having is that the cd that I've burned wont work. I've done it in an ISO file, I think a .gi file the form that it was when I downloaded... any ideas?

If you download the Hardy live CD and burn it as ISO file, then you put the CD in your windows OS you get a menu to install Wubi if autorun is enabled in your windows, if not look at CD in explorer and run the exe file on it to get it installed.