PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu w/o internet

carrarin
July 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
It seems to me that if you dont have the internet, you probably shouldn't install linux. Its turned out to be quite a pain in the butt.

appi2012
July 21st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Could you elaborate on what is happening, and what you want to know?

dstew
July 21st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I would agree with you, that Ubuntu Desktop really is hard to manage without an internet connection, but all of Linux? I don't think so. There are plenty of Linux distributions that don't need internet access to be useful.

Xerp
July 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
In 2008 though it is very rare not to have some access to the internet. Even Starbucks has free wifi :) Plus, if you're not connecting to the internet then the security updates won't be that important to you anyway!

wolfen69
July 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
if you purchase an ubuntu DVD, you will be able to install most of the apps you need. btw, ask yourself what good windows would be without internet. not much difference there.

Joeb454
July 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
It's easier to game on Windows than Ubuntu, when taking into account that there is no internet access :)

muteXe
July 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
In 2008 though it is very rare not to have some access to the internet. Even Starbucks has free wifi :)

And what if you work on classified machines? For security purposes at my work some of the machines are standalone.

Xerp
July 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
And what if you work on classified machines? For security purposes at my work some of the machines are standalone.

If you work on classified machines then you shouldn't be using Starbucks! You also shouldn't remove the machines from the office. Your IT Security personnel should be able to advise you on how to work and will have a policy regarding updates that is applicable for the business.