PDA

View Full Version : Careers

scottuss
July 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Howdy everyone!

Random question but does anyone know any good websites or other resources to find Linux (possibly Ubuntu!?) related careers for a soon to graduate Computing student?

I've done loads of "Googling" and trawling through the usual career websites but it seems there are very few posts related to what I'm interested in. (It seems to be a Windows world :( lol)

kindofabuzz
July 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM
Learn to program Linux apps, linux system admin, linux network admin, etc...

You said "possibly Ubuntu". you're not gonna find a job that says "hiring: Ubuntu user". :)

scottuss
July 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Lol, I didn't expect anywhere to ask for an Ubuntu User!

:lolflag:

aysiu
July 21st, 2008, 10:34 PM
Maybe try Ubuntu's website?
http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/

Mr. Picklesworth
July 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
And if you find the Canonical path intriguing, I have noticed that the "Launchpod" podcast (http://news.launchpad.net/) is quite informative in that regard.

stmiller
July 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Tech support - every company, university, institution, government, business, everything has IT support staff. Most places run Linux servers for different stuff, so having some Linux chops may help get a job.

Sys admin - if you are good with Linux on the server side, there are admin jobs out there to do Linux full time. Apache, Sendmail, DNS, all of that stuff.

Places to look for job openings? If you are in the US, craigslist.org is good. Also going to local LUG meetings are good for finding a job.

It's a windows world for lots of stuff out there, but in the server room the machines are all running Linux or Solaris. So having Linux chops theses days is very valuable.

bp1509
July 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
search Dice.com or MySpace jobs. Craigslist too.

SteveNorman
July 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
I see lots of jobs requiring knowledge of ubuntu on craigslist in Seattle (US),, not sure how used it is in the UK