PDA

View Full Version : One of Linux's biggest lessons: Don't preach, mention

Pages : 1 [2]

Nick_Jinn
August 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have been around the forums since last year, and have experienced this myself. It seems each new user to Ubuntu wants to preach its benefits to everyone and convert the world. Let me ask you this: when was the last time this worked to convert you to anything? It just doesn't work with humans. If you try to force the decision on most people, they will reject it. Its great that you love it, but maybe it won't work for someone else, or they are happy with what they have. Ubuntu isn't the end all operating system, it does have its flaws.

Instead of trying to convert everyone by preaching to them, just mention it when asked. Carry a livecd or usb so that when you are using someone else's computer you can use that on it to do your stuff. They will naturally be curious when you boot up to it. Just use it, and if they ask you questions patiently and kindly answer them. If this were to happen, not only would we get more people trying Linux, but we would have less rants in the User Testimonials & Experiences section, since misinformation would be less likely to be used to try to make them change.

Have a nice day/night everyone! Remember this the next time you go to preach! :KS

You do sound a bit preachy here ;)

But yeah, I can agree with that. I think that there are appropriate times to speak up and say what is good about Linux, and then there are times that you are provoking a needless argument and turning people off. Use some common sense.

I have in fact converted people to Linux by advertising it, especially on Craigslist where I peach the benefits over Windows to people who have viruses and are looking for computer help....but I do so intelligently, at the appropriate time and place, rather than being fanatic and trying to talk about it even when its not appropriate.

But I have gotten several dozen new users by advocating it, but Im mellow about it. I only preach the benefits when its appropriate and on topic, rather than trying to make every tech thread about Linux when it doesnt need to be.

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I guess you're right, but it's hard to see the computer teacher not know anything about Linux, and then see tax money go to dozens of computers with Windows. Oh well.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah, a computer teacher should know something about Linux....Is this highschool or college education? A University level computer teacher shouldnt be able to get away with that...in highschool, they can often be less picky, especially in small towns.

chriswyatt
August 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Yeah, Ubuntu evangelists are almost as bad as Christian evangelists.

Nick_Jinn
August 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think it would be really funny to go door to door preaching the virtues of Linux and giving out free copies of Ubuntu and getting it on film to put on youtube.

I would do it just to share it here.

Oxwivi
August 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
They preach here? O.O

dizzle1234
October 31st, 2010, 09:43 PM
OK. Someone may have mentioned this before. However, let me say this:

Ubuntu will eternally need work. This is why there are versions. =)
Windows 7 is superior in some ways. Likewise, Ubuntu is superior in some ways.
Specifically speaking about Win7, it is the standard when it comes to desktop Operating Systems. One can talk about Windows 7 in global terms.
Likewise, Ubuntu can be talked about in global terms. However, Ubuntu is less prevalent than Win7. Therefore, Microsoft has the upper hand.
Why is Microsoft's products more prevalent than Ubuntu? One reason may be the fact that Microsoft is business-driven. Microsoft has stocks. Ubuntu does not.
Again, Ubuntu needs work.
Specifically speaking per my personal experience, Open Office needs work. Again - versions.
All it takes is realistic thinking. Think realistically and you are golden.

Hope this helps someone.

Austin25
October 31st, 2010, 10:06 PM

Specifically speaking about Win7, it is the standard when it comes to desktop Operating Systems. One can talk about Windows 7 in global terms.
Likewise, Ubuntu can be talked about in global terms. However, Ubuntu is less prevalent than Win7. Therefore, Microsoft has the upper hand.
Why is Microsoft's products more prevalent than Ubuntu? One reason may be the fact that Microsoft is business-driven. Microsoft has stocks. Ubuntu does not.
Specifically speaking per my personal experience, Open Office needs work. Again - versions.

Hope this helps someone.
Open Office? Didn't you hear? (http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/09/future-ubuntu-releases-will-be-shipped.html)

youbuntu
November 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I think "Elephants Dreams" was about that: No force your thoughts on others. Go watch the movie:popcorn: It's hard to understand... so us humans it's hard to understand why these people complaint about their OS but, on the other hand there is no will to change... simple as that.

I preach, but not the way I used to... now I say what I have to say, respectful people listen to you and if they don't like what are you saying you should be respectful too... whit their opinions.

Everybody, in a way or in another "preach" what their thoughts... ones more violent than other (Politicians, News Papers, Microsoft... etc.) and others with respect (JWs, Forums (except when the "Flame" flag is on), Experienced Linux Users... )

Next time... invoke yourself with --noforce command line option.

What the?... what on EARTH is that "Elephant's dream" about? That's ten mins of my life wasted, and irrecoverable - haha!

wilee-nilee
November 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM

Hope this helps someone.

Lol sounds like you started with MS, this is some beautifully crafted FUD, there is some truth in there but very little.

HermanAB
November 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM
"Beware of a man of only one book".

Everything has its place. The best place for Windows is on a desktop machine and the best place for Linux is in the server room.

msandoy
November 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM
"Beware of a man of only one book".

Everything has its place. The best place for Windows is on a desktop machine and the best place for Linux is in the server room.

If your comment was true, YOU only have one book. :-)

youbuntu
November 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
If your comment was true, YOU only have one book. :-)

Or only once sentence - a life of computing drudgery! ^_^

Chazz44able
November 9th, 2010, 04:23 PM
this is all very true, definitely preach not mention!

youbuntu
November 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM

I think you got that the wrong way around.

yanom
December 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM
virii

plural of virus? I'm pretty sure it's just "viruses"

Shintek
December 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Very true, humans never like being forced, neither would I.

Lol what you smoking yo?

tuahaa
December 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I used to preach a lot (when I was new).

but now, people just look at me using my computer and ask.

Penguin Guy
December 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Preaching just makes you sound like a nerd; it won't convince anyone to switch to Linux (especially if you start talking about the advantages of Bash over Batch, or Linux's alternative to Photoshop; The GIMP).

Just use your computer while around other people and you get comments like: "Is that Windows 7!?"(during Windows 7 beta testing period), "What the ..?!"(as you flip sides of the Compiz Cube), "That's pretty neat!"(as you receive a notification of an email or chat message).

korleon
December 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
People do get interested when they see my desktop. They become even more interested when I boot my live USB on their machine. To get someone to become an Ubuntu user however is the tough part. Definitely preaching turns people off. Most have experience with "the" legacy :shock: operating system. I prescribe Live CD experimentation followed by dual boot when they ask. In this way I have brought several individuals back from the dark side....

TrickStyle
May 1st, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'll be happy to link to this in my signature :).

Likewise. Also bumping.

AldenIsZen
June 1st, 2011, 02:10 AM
Just had to say I saw your sig and shared it with my buds (http://forum.linuxbasix.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=320). I won't be subscribing to this thread, but your welcome to our community!

Thanks!

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM
This might be the most useless thread on this website.

Thewhistlingwind
June 1st, 2011, 02:23 AM
This might be the most useless thread on this website.

If no one had (preached really) mentioned how much they love Ubuntu, I'd have taken much longer to find it. The people you mention/preach to don't necessarily have to install today, as far as I'm concerned, it can be three years later or more and it's still a mission success.

I try to take care not to be obnoxious. (Though I'm well aware I am, the whole school is though, so it's kind of a joke.) But really, theres probably more kids hearing me argue (Converse and debate) with my CS teacher then I probably know.

krapp
June 1st, 2011, 02:27 AM
If no one had (preached really) mentioned how much they love Ubuntu, I'd have taken much longer to find it. Exactly. And anyway, the big marketing-machines preach all day on full blast. No Linux user could be that obnoxious.