PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install freezes up right when I try to

Rabiah
July 21st, 2008, 04:27 AM
Alright, I was given a Toshiba Satellite A205-S7468(laptop)by my room~mate after she downloaded a virus and had the HD wiped.

Anyways the laptop came with Vista which I dont like, and xp cant be installed cause it needs custom drivers or some **** to see the hard drive. So I decided to try Ubuntu. I got it off the main site like 15-20 days ago and followed the instructions on the site to burn the disk.

However when I go to try to check the cd or install ubuntu it freezes right as I press enter (I let it sit for an hour to see if it installed) and when I try to run off the cd it loads up to 10% or so then freezes.

I'm not 100% sure its freezing and not just taking forever though because when i checked the hard drive it had an ubuntu folder

Sef
July 21st, 2008, 02:08 PM
1) Did you burn the the download as an iso?

2) Did you check the disk to make sure it is ok?

Growbag
July 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Are you trying to install the 64bit version? Not sure if Intel Core2 Duos support 64bit.

Maybe try:

Disabling acpi on boot (acpi=off I think)
Another (or older) version of Ubuntu
Another Linux distro (openSUSE/Mandriva/PCLinuxOS etc')
Installing onto another hard drive (external USB?)
Checking the laptop's hard disk for physical errors
Detting defaults in tha laptops BIOS
Making sure all partitions on the hard disk are deleted
Removing half the memory from the laptop (if you can), and/or swapping the chips around, it could be a memory problem

Just a few suggestions :)

Rabiah
July 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Yes I did burn it from an ISO and I was able to use it on a different pc to Install in windows so I believe it works.

The lapotops harddrive still works as I was able to format it from another pc using an external hard drive kit and used it for a while to transfer some files to my roommates new laptop.

I'll try the other things mentioned and see if it works