PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Have You Reformatted?

tdrusk
July 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM
I have distro-hopped a lot. I honestly think I have reformatted at least 200 times.

How about you guys?

cookieofdoom
July 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM
My whole disk... maybe 4-5 times... and I've had it for like 3 years. Individual partitions? A lot.

tamoneya
July 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int

jflaker
July 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Before installing Ubuntu, Because windows fubar'd, I would do it at least once every few months as that was the only way to bring back system performance.

On linux about a year now and I have had no need to reformat/reload.

Jordanwb
July 21st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Many many times.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int

Nice touch.

VitaLiNux
July 21st, 2008, 03:51 AM
I had to reformat once because I needed to create a separate /home partition. After that, never! XD

Exershio
July 21st, 2008, 04:22 AM
Probably about 10-15 times in the past 3-4 months.

I can never stick with a single OS. I've gone from XP to Linux to Vista to Linux to XP to Vista to Linux to XP to Linux.

hello Linux :D

myusername
July 21st, 2008, 04:24 AM
id say at least 100 times

tuxxy
July 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM
In the last year once, plan to format and clean install for Intrepid :)

PurposeOfReason
July 21st, 2008, 04:31 AM
This computer? Three times as it's only 1.5 weeks old. Probably four as I can't update the vista side and the error code isn't helping. All the "help" doesn't work. I really hate doing a windows install. All the programs and drivers and reboots.

Totaly. A good 100 in the last year. I will, at random, reinstall archlinux because I may feel like it is "dirty" from too much changing things around. Good thing I don't do that with windows or it'd be a weekly task as windows cleans up very poorly.

the8thstar
July 21st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Well, I had XP... then I installed Ubuntu 6.10 and moved up from there. I added a Home partition and a swap, then no swap, then I installed Vista.

Later I tried Linux Mint, OpenBSD, FreeBSD 7.0, Ubuntu Studio 8.04, OpenSuse 10.3 and OpenSolaris 1.0...

Now my config is as you see below in my sig :) I think I'm done with distros for quite awhile.

perlluver
July 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
I have done it so much, I can't keep track. I install another distro about every week. But now that I am on Slackware, I think I will stay here.

benny bronx
July 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
I will, at random, reinstall archlinux because I may feel like it is "dirty" from too much changing things around

I have reformatted about twenty times and have also done the same thing as the8thstar (not with Arch though). When I decide to reformat, I always run dban before I retire for the night, and install in the morning.

matt79
July 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
I have done it alot (but that is only becouse I am always moveing stuff around depending on what I need). I am going to say I have formatted 150 times.

kevin11951
July 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM
I love the feel of a brand new system, so i will clean my computer, and reformat...

Lord Xeb
July 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM
I have reformatted from just experimenting and cause a lot a trouble. I just do not feel like fixing it so I reformat. If it starts to run slow, I reformat... I have no idea why I do though :/

RiceMonster
July 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM
I've reformatted probably about 20-30 times. I've reformatted once or twice because I changed something, then couldn't figure out what it was, and instead of looking it up, I reinstalled, which was probably a dumb idea lol. I haven't done that in a while.

dracule
July 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM
Never have done my whole disk.

Made this ubuntu partition ~2 years ago and used it ever since. The only Distro which i stuck to.

dizee
July 21st, 2008, 04:51 AM
I've reformatted probably about 20-30 times. I've reformatted once or twice because I changed something, then couldn't figure out what it was, and instead of looking it up, I reinstalled, which was probably a dumb idea lol. I haven't done that in a while.
i did the exact same thing. grub was borked and i couldn't figure out how to reinstall it from the live cd. ](*,) now i know it is easy, just navigate to the mounted partition and run /sbin/grub-install. but i had already reinstalled the whole system when i found that out.

in answer to the question, hmmm... probably somewhere between ten and twenty times.

rated727
July 21st, 2008, 05:07 AM
Consider ...

I started regular home computer use with a Commodore 64
I have progressed trough every MSDOS version since 3.3 and Windows from 3.1 through XP (Vista? not interested)
I've owned PC computers from a 4.77 mHz XT with 2 - 360K floppies to an Intel multiprocessor server to my current 4-computer configuration

I worked for 5 years as a computer repair technician for one of the US's biggest computer retailers. (I won't even count these in my total)

I've reformatted (my own computers) so many times that...you could describe it in terazaps. (1024 reformats=1 kilozap,1024 kilozaps=1 megazap,1024 megazaps=1 gigazap,1024 gigazaps=1 terazap)

I've reformatted (my own computers) so many times that...I started calling the process "the chrome handle treatment". . .an illustrated explanation of that term can be found on the tank of your toilet.

"If it ain't broke, you need to fix it some more"

tdrusk
July 21st, 2008, 06:23 AM
Consider ...

I started regular home computer use with a Commodore 64
I have progressed trough every MSDOS version since 3.3 and Windows from 3.1 through XP (Vista? not interested)
I've owned PC computers from a 4.77 mHz XT with 2 - 360K floppies to an Intel multiprocessor server to my current 4-computer configuration

I worked for 5 years as a computer repair technician for one of the US's biggest computer retailers. (I won't even count these in my total)

I've reformatted (my own computers) so many times that...you could describe it in terazaps. (1024 reformats=1 kilozap,1024 kilozaps=1 megazap,1024 megazaps=1 gigazap,1024 gigazaps=1 terazap)

I've reformatted (my own computers) so many times that...I started calling the process "the chrome handle treatment". . .an illustrated explanation of that term can be found on the tank of your toilet.

"If it ain't broke, you need to fix it some more"
finally some honesty in this thread :P

SomeGuyDude
July 21st, 2008, 06:24 AM
TONS.

I've broken installations oodles of times, aside from my random decisions to start distro-hopping.

toupeiro
July 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
Over the years, far too many to count... This one, I've never reformatted the drive after its initial format.