PDA

View Full Version : can windows be a replacement of Linux?

Ioky
July 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
"I am a Linux User since I get my first computer, And have never been using windows. The other day, my desktop dead for no reason, but luckily my cousin brought in a nice computer without OS. I try to install Linux into it, but no matter what I did, I just can't get Linux install. I even try BSD, and Solaris, and non of them work. SO I call my cousin. He told me that the computer work fine with Windows. But I have no idea how I can handle all the stuff I am doing on Linux in windows. Can someone give me an idea how I can make windows a replacement of Linux?"

Obviously that is not what I really am, but thinking about, what if there is such person ask such question. What would you answer his/her questions?

I ask that because I think people is always try to make Linux to replacement windows (at least of a lot them). But is it really possible to windows to replace Linux? (this is not a question.)

zachtib
July 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
what kind of computer is it?

EDIT: Oh, i just realized this wasn't you >.<

Canis familiaris
July 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well it cannot *replace* Linux but yes it would have all essential features, so maybe yes.
But you could post the problems you faced installing Linux on that PC. Maybe we could help you.

Ioky
July 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
what kind of computer is it?

It is a custom build computer with

ASUS P4G800-E motherboard
P4 3.0GHz CPU
512 RAM
ATI 9800 Pro with 256GDDR
Creative sound buster sound card
and a first generation Mator 250GB ATA HHD
and a IDE DVD burner

Well, Seriously I do have such computer that can't install Linux on it. Even I get a Linux distro on it, It will only boot 1/10 boot it make. Mandriva is like the only distro that can actually be install. But as I say it boot 1 out of 10 boot. That is why I still have windows on it for my brother. --.--!

Can+~
July 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
What do you mean that "can't install Linux on", when does it fail?

Ioky
July 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
haha I think I kind of get off subject myself. haha. forget about the computer I talking about, it is a difference story. haha

grossaffe
July 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Its difficult to answer a question about a hypothetical situation that just won't happen. If somehow Linux and BSD and Solaris won't install on the computer, then something's wrong with the computer and Windows won't work either.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
July 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Obviously that is not what I really am, but thinking about, what if there is such person ask such question. What would you answer his/her questions?

Well, I'm not too far from this hypothetical person (yes, I really am), and windows can't replace linux, hell, I cannot even _try_ windows (which would be closer to the reality), because :

- Of the cost of the different software licenses, which make it cost-prohibitive to even try windows on any of my computers.

- There is no decent shell and no decent console tool, so I cannot easily automate any task to make my life easier.

- There is no way to troubleshoot anything (not open source, binary only application, no standard, no real documentation), so if anything goes wrong, and something always does, then I'm basically stuck.

And I'm not even thinking about letting this computer near any untrusted data source, like the internet, or give it any confidential information ...

david_lynch
July 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM
"But I have no idea how I can handle all the stuff I am doing on Linux in windows. Can someone give me an idea how I can make windows a replacement of Linux?"

The casual web browser/emailer might not notice a bug difference, but for a linux power user, having to use ms windows would be a rude disappointment, what with the loss of a lot of important functionality.

Imagine going back to school and sitting in one of those kindergarten chairs, cramped, barely able to breathe, your back killing you, and you know what a linux power user feels like if he has to use ms windows...

:cry:

Ioky
July 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Its difficult to answer a question about a hypothetical situation that just won't happen. If somehow Linux and BSD and Solaris won't install on the computer, then something's wrong with the computer and Windows won't work either.

The person I mention might be hypothetical, but the situation is not. As I mention the computer before, it is a actually machine that can't install anything else beside windows. the Kennel just fail to load every single time. (almost even single time.) That is the reason why I get a new computer just to install Linux, (It is pure Linux, no windows have even been use in that machine.) But yeah, I think the ASUS motherboard in that machine that I actually mention is the possible, why the Kennel wouldn't load, (at least for ubuntu, Opensure, and few others doesn't) When I try to install. Even text base install wouldn't help. But yeah, I try to install Linux in many machine, That is like the only one just wouldn't install, even for the only one I can install, it wouldn't boot. --.--! But such thing did happen, I didn't just make it up. haha. Maybe I am too lucky that, the first computer I try to install Linux doesn't support Linux, but that is just me. I though there is more people experience that. haha

Note: there is motherboard that actually state doesn't support Linux too. (ASUS again.... the one my actual Cousin has.)