View Full Version : [ubuntu] video problems

July 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I recently reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 on my computer. Everything seemed to be going alright. I tried to install WoW using the newest version of Wine and I could not seem to get it to work. On my last install everything worked fine until I botched an Ubuntu update. I believe that it is some kind of video driver issue that is causing my current problem. When I go to install the driver using the hardware manager the game works fine with lesser graphics, but my screen resolution will not go any higher than 640x480. So I went back to the hardware manager to disable the driver and try to use envy to reinstall the driver. Same issues with resolution but I cannot get the game to run. So I tried disabling the driver and removing the Envy driver and I get normal screen resolution but no game. As you can imagine this is very frustrating and I have run out of ideas to try and I'm not even sure how to look this problem up. I am kind of new to this whole Linux thing so please be as clear as possible with any suggestions. Thanks alot for your help.

July 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
What video card are you using?