View Full Version : [kubuntu] Black screen in KDE 4

July 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I tried finding other threads with similar issues, but all I could find was that I should change the driver. I have tried this with no luck.

After trying to re-install my NVIDIA driver (the nvidia splash screen disappeared for some reason) KDE suddenly went black. Seems to be unrelated to what xorg.conf file I use and what nvidia driver I use. I have uninstalled any driver, still black screen in KDE. I have used an old xorg.conf file from when I had no problems, still black screen. And I have installed the latest nvidia driver, and still black screen in KDE...

At least nvidia-config got my splash screen back and I got a new xorg.conf. But after the log-in screen everything is black.

I can see my mouse pointer, though :P

July 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I was thinking, since it doesn't work no matter what I do with my nvidia driver, that the problem might lie elsewhere? I did a couple of other things with KDE before it broke, like change the theme and background and stuff. Is there a chance this can be the reason?Did I change something that might have messed it up?

July 21st, 2008, 03:52 PM
I installed Gnome just to have something to work with, and that worked without any problems (luckily). So still no one that can help with the black screen in KDE?

July 23rd, 2008, 01:06 AM