PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Failed - any help appreciated

tom1234
July 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I just tried to install release 8.04 onto a computer with Windows XP already installed. During installation I asked the installer to partition the hard drive as there was some windows data I wanted to keep. The installation seemed to work, however when I try to boot the computer it:confused: seems to try and boot XP which then immediately fails. I don't even see the grub menu so I can't ask it to try and boot Ubuntu. I can run Ubuntu using the live CD and can see both partitions on the hard drive and the data in them so the partitioning has definitely worked. I tried using Super Grub Disk to reinstall GRUB but that failed too. The only clue I have is that when I looked in the GRUB directory in root both entries seemed to be for the XP OS! However I don't know enough about Ubuntu to get any further than this. Can anyone help - I don't want to be stuck using the live CD.:confused:

tom1234
July 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Update - I reinstalled ubuntu and now the computer no longer tries to boot windows, however GRUB hangs at stage 1.5 with error 2. Does anyone have any ideas???????

coffeecat
July 20th, 2008, 11:16 PM
How did you format your Ubuntu root partition, with a command line tool, Gparted from the live CD manu, or did you let the installer reformat the partition?

That grub error 2 looks depressingly familiar, but you shouldn't get it if the installer or Gparted does the formatting. Here's the unpleasant explanation (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6480/1/). This may not be what went wrong for you, but if you formatted from a terminal and got an ext3 partition with 256-byte inodes, you've been bitten by the bug that's also plagued some users of several distros.

tom1234
July 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi coffeecat thanks for the reply. Although I have used older versions of Ubuntu for a couple of years I am pretty much a noob as far as my real understanding of Linux goes. I have been tearing my hair out about this for a couple of days but I don't think that my problem is the one you suggested. I have been trying to install Ubuntu on an old computer I was given. I didn't pay much attention to how the hardware was configured but after a lot of confusion figured out that it has two HDs in a RAID mirror configuration. It seems that this is the problem. If I unplug one of the HD's (literally) then I can boot Ubuntu from the other with no problems - but the interesting bit is that when I installed Ububtu the installation CD somehow broke the mirroring, one HD has been partitioned and the other hasn't. I don't understand mirroring all that well but surely this shouldn't be possible?

coffeecat
July 21st, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no experience of RAID. Since you think that RAID is the problem, can I suggest you start a new thread with RAID in the title? That might attract people who know a thing or two about RAID. The title for this thread was a bit vague. This is such a busy forum that some people just skip over threads with vague titles and look for something that interests them.

There's a psychology to composing thread titles. You need the cunning of advertisers. :)

tom1234
July 21st, 2008, 03:46 PM
Cheers coffeecat, I think thats pretty sound advice. I was actually so confused as to what was happening that I didn't know what to put in the title of the thread. Anyway I figured out how to fix this problem and it was the RAID. I have a hardware RAID setup on my motherboard so I disabled RAID in the BIOS menu, plugged the HD into an IDE port and everything worked fine - I even managed to recover all the data. I like Ubuntu a lot but that said an OS install really shouldn't involve having to unscrew the box and do a major hardware reconfiguration. Maybe I was just unlucky but after searching the forums it seems that some other people have had problems with RAID. I will call this solved for now as I didn't need the RAID mirroring anyway, if anyone can really shed some light on this please post the info on this thread are there may be others with similar problems.

coffeecat
July 21st, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'm glad you've got it fixed. Launchpad Bugs in Ubuntu (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/) is another place to see what problems people are having with RAID.