PDA

View Full Version : Best thing you have done with Linux that you couldnt have done with windows?

Fixman
July 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I used nautilus-actions to create a script that copies a file to a folder inside /var/www and copies its address (with my ip) to the clipboard, so now if I want to publish an image I must just right click it!

Here it is:

#!/bin/bash

r=.${1#*.} ;
n=0 ;

while [ -e /var/www/img/inger/$n$r ] ; do true $[ n++ ] ; done ;
mv $1 /var/www/img/inger/$n$r ;

echo `ipcheck`/img/inger/$n$r | xclip -selection c ;

And this is ipcheck to know my ip:

curl -s www.whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp && echo

No more imagesack :):):):)

keiichidono
July 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
GnomeDo, it enhances my productivity a lot.

flytripper
July 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
several things at once without crashing or locking up. i.e. bittorrent+music+a game running+internet+ possibly extracting a zip file... all done at the same time in ubuntu with no crashes/lockups to date. not one.

jflaker
July 20th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Don't have to worry about the version being sunsetted like Windows XP. XP is a strong and relatively efficient OS (I said "relatively")......but windows is going End of Life very shortly.

What couldn't I do with windows? Get the next version upgrade without having to take a small loan! Best of all, unlike Windows, I can share!!!!!

hessiess
July 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
get a complelty useable computer without spending anything on softwere including the OS.

bake a 350 res fluid sim in blender without it crashing.

wrtpeeps
July 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Haven't found anything I couldn't do on windows yet.

The difference is I can do it for free. :lolflag:

AnonCat
July 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Surf the net with peace of mind

tashmooclam
July 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
The best thing I have done is show to some skeptical friends that you do not need Windows to run an inexpensive computer. When I show others, they are a little shocked that the status quo is changing quickly.

Corfy
July 21st, 2008, 03:09 AM
Use LiveCDs.

Between Ubuntu/Kubuntu, SystemRescueCD, and Damn Small Linux, it is amazing what I can do to fix Windows systems that aren't running properly (BTW, I should add I'm the IT department at my office, and we are strictly Windows there, although I am Linux at home... I'm trying to convince them, but I haven't had much luck so far).

Whether it is something as simple as running a Memory Check, something as mundane as getting data off a Win98 laptop when it has no CD burner and no network/internet connection and no drivers for the USB port (that was a co-worker's personal computer, not an office computer, BTW), or as complex as getting rid of viruses, it is amazing what I can do with the "free" Linux LiveCDs that I simply can't accomplish with the considerably more expensive Windows.

And this next story isn't "Linux" per se, but it is open source (or free software, if you prefer). A co-worker was having trouble opening a jpeg file in Adobe Photoshop CS a couple weeks ago. Every time he tried, it would give him an error message (something about a bad image header) and shut down Photoshop. I opened it right up in GIMP (running on Windows) without any problems, resaved it, and he was able to work with it from then on. I haven't let him live that one down yet.

I love using free tools to fix problems that can't be fixed by programs that cost hundreds of dollars. :lolflag:

adamogardner
July 21st, 2008, 03:22 AM
get the real driving experience through the command line interface

Jordanwb
July 21st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Well this isn't too ground breaking but... I like how the visuals of KDE can be easily modified without any additional software. I have the taskbar set to full transparency so my background of a Bently Le Mans racecar (and a damn cool looking one too) shows through.

tamoneya
July 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
use software repositories:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Windows is so much more difficult.

smartboyathome
July 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM
Infinate symlink loops: they crash everything. :p

barbedsaber
July 21st, 2008, 05:30 AM
Are we having another one of these?ow (4 replies)

L815
July 21st, 2008, 05:36 AM
Best thing I do with linux that I *didn't really* do with Windows is being more productive.

ryaxnb
July 21st, 2008, 05:43 AM
* Upgrade everything at once.
* Use VNC in the default install
* Use Bash (without kludges)
* Use Grep (again, fast, w/o kludges
* Aptitude!
* Compile from source (yes, I find this somewhat fun)
* Work with PyGTK and PyQt easily.
* Avoid IE completely! (No IE here!)
* Not use the webby UI (goshdarned webby UI)
* Use GNOME (I consider it superior to Windows)
* Run VMs using Xen (not tried yet)
* Run on an old P!!! 500 w/ 12GB HD without choking (using Puppy Linux)
* etc.

tuebinger
July 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
I've always wanted to use Photoshop to manipulate my photos but couldn't bring myself to buy the program. Now I can manipulate my photos using GIMP.

Lord Xeb
July 21st, 2008, 05:59 AM
Lets see here:

Compiz

System RAM usage is down around 400-750MB compared to windows where I would be using over one gig with just FF, Trend Micro, and WMP :/ I barely even use 1 gig after having almost 10 programs up and running.

Plug n Play (my camera and stuff)

Custom firewalls without very much hassel and were made to my standards, including things that cannot be found or made with firewallbuilder.

My computer stays at about 120-130F average compared to windows when it was at 130 average just running firefox

Get my wireless to work right :D

Monitor all my system information just from one panel.

browse the web without getting viruses.

jay019
July 21st, 2008, 06:06 AM
Read the source code of my OS! :P

poofyhairguy
July 21st, 2008, 06:51 AM
Put it on my PS3 or my router.

Corfy
August 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I had a situation this morning where Windows was simply not up to the task but Linux handled it without any problems whatsoever.

What was the situation? I had to read a Compact Flash card with some pictures that were absolutely needed for today at the office.

Three Windows XP computers told us the card was unreadable and "Do you want to format?" No, we don't want to format, we want our pictures.

So I restarted my computer and booted into Ubuntu, and hooked the cardreader and card up. It had no problem reading the card at all, I got the pictures, and now I look like a hero.

I said it before, but I love using free software to do something that high-priced commercial software can't handle.

venator260
August 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Do everything that I would want to upgrade to Vista for with 512M of RAM and not pay anything to do it.

malspa
August 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Legally install the same OS on several different machines without having to purchase installation CDs for each one.

Barrucadu
August 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Recognise my card reader automagically, without need for a driver disk.

Npl
August 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Having the Wallpaper only sometime loading. I wouldnt know how I`d do this in Windows, and Hardy Heron does this by default.

Nah, the big point using Linux is having a easy time compiling stuff, make && make install and youre good to go. Ironically the only thing allowing this is the sheer dominance of one toolchain, who said choice is good? :)

timzak
August 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I'll echo others on this one:

Create a fully functional OS complete with all apps for zero monetary cost--free!

And I'll add one that I never realized I missed from Windows until I started using it in Ubuntu:

Have the day and date integrated into the panel clock, so at a glance of my desktop, I know what day and date it is. In Windows you must hover your mouse over the time to see the day and date.

Sporkman
August 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
haven't found anything i couldn't do on windows yet.

The difference is i can do it for free. :lolflag:

+1

fwojciec
August 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Here's a nice testimonial that I found: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/my-new-3-watt-dead-silent-usb-linux-music-server-326831/
You'll definitely appreciate it if you're into high-quality audio and such things...

vanden12
August 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Use LiveCDs.

Between Ubuntu/Kubuntu, SystemRescueCD, and Damn Small Linux, it is amazing what I can do to fix Windows systems that aren't running properly (BTW, I should add I'm the IT department at my office, and we are strictly Windows there, although I am Linux at home... I'm trying to convince them, but I haven't had much luck so far).

Whether it is something as simple as running a Memory Check, something as mundane as getting data off a Win98 laptop when it has no CD burner and no network/internet connection and no drivers for the USB port (that was a co-worker's personal computer, not an office computer, BTW), or as complex as getting rid of viruses, it is amazing what I can do with the "free" Linux LiveCDs that I simply can't accomplish with the considerably more expensive Windows.

And this next story isn't "Linux" per se, but it is open source (or free software, if you prefer). A co-worker was having trouble opening a jpeg file in Adobe Photoshop CS a couple weeks ago. Every time he tried, it would give him an error message (something about a bad image header) and shut down Photoshop. I opened it right up in GIMP (running on Windows) without any problems, resaved it, and he was able to work with it from then on. I haven't let him live that one down yet.

I love using free tools to fix problems that can't be fixed by programs that cost hundreds of dollars. :lolflag:How do you get ride of a virus on windows with linux?

Also I just love the live cd...Have somthing really safe for shopping, or going over your friends house who says you gave them a virus...Or just being able go a firends house you there computer and not have any info left on there computer...

Also like that I can install 15 apps and walk away...and checking my uptime..

What I dont like is that I cant use Itunes or Fireworks 8 on linux.. Ipod 80gb and my Ipod touch dont work so well in amarok.Also Itunes is by far the best podcast manger I sceen...

Tho I must say banshee is growing on me..

Corfy
August 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
How do you get ride of a virus on windows with linux?

One of the problems I have often run into with viruses and/or adware/spyware on a Windows computer is you can't delete the file because it is in use (usually, restarting in safe mode doesn't help). When it is particularly nasty, I shut down the process using it, but the process immediately starts up again before I have a chance to delete the file.

So I pop in a LiveCD, restart the computer, mount the Windows partition or drive, and since Windows isn't running, I can delete any file (or files) I want because none of them are in use. I have used that trick many times.

Also, the SystemRescue CD comes with ClamAV, so you can run an antivirus scan on the drive/partition.

neonl
August 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Using bleeding edge software at the same time I use an ultra-simple and ultra-lightweight WM and being able to compile the whole system from source when I want to (right now i use Gentoo + Fluxbox + Thunar + Firefox + OOo + MPlayer + VLC + MPD/Sonata)

LateNiteTV
August 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
write linux x86 shellcode.

RiceMonster
August 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Use linux.