PDA

View Full Version : What monitor to buy ?

MaximB
July 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Sorry , I don't know where to put this thread so I'll be brief.

I want to buy a new PC part by part with monitor.
I want a big monitor of 22Inch at reasonable price.

I'm thinking about buying a regular LCD monitor or a wide screen LCD monitor.

If anyone is using wide screen monitor I want to hear your comments about how "good" is it with websites and games (and older games) because I do not intent to watch movies all day (but it is part of what I intend to do ;)).

If you know about a good monitor at good price let me know.

Thanks.

aktiwers
July 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have not used it yet, but when I get cash I will buy the Samsung 226CW. If I got my info right, its basically the 226BW with a guaranteed S-panel

NovaAesa
July 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think you may want to look into LCD monitors rather than LSD ones lol. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I have an LG 24" LCD at 1920 by 1200. It's really good with websites because you can have your browser in one part of the screen and something else in anther part. Good for multitasking. As for games... I don't play them on Linux. I do however play my Xbox 360 on the monitor and it's AMAZING!! Full HD makes everything so much better.

MaximB
July 20th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm glad you happy, but the question is how does it work with other things then movies.
I would like to hear your experience with it.

billgoldberg
July 20th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't go widescreen for a desktop monitor.

You loose to much desktop real estate, wich means more scrolling.

It's good for a laptop though.

silkstone
July 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have two 22" widescreen monitors - an LG L226WTQ and a Samsung SM2232BW. The LG is far better - the Samsung has a noticeable blue cast at default settings, and needed profiling to give good results.

The big problem with Samsung is that they put at least three different panels into the same model, and you can't easily tell which you're getting until you switch it on and look at a hidden service menu. The panels actually made by Samsung are very good, and these are the ones sent to reviewers - no surprise there. The other types are not as good - more backlight bleed and less accurate colours.

There's plenty of info about this on the web, if you google 'Samsung panel lottery' or something like that.

mips
July 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have a LG W2252TQ 22" widescreen that I'm very happy with. I have not played any games on it but it has a 2ms response time which is pretty fast and should be good for gaming. All other uses so far has been good.

I still however do not think LCDs compare to CRTs. I also have a excellent 22" HP Diamondtron crt which is great but the crt is just to harsh on my eyes these days.

sports fan Matt
July 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM
im going to buy this one i think cause of my budget of $200 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/AOC-Envision-917SW-19-Widescreen-Monitor-917SW/sem/rpsm/oid/213983/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Methuselah
July 20th, 2008, 04:28 PM
This is what I bought and I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824211010

I never got the digital input to work but I'm not sure of the cause.
But its specs were quite good and it was under $300 by quite a bit.

However, there now seems to be no way to find it from newegg's main page and no price is listed and there's no way to order it.
I found the link from within my order history.