PDA

View Full Version : I love garbage picking

alienexplorers
July 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Today a neighbor threw out a computer because the processor or something on the motherboard died. Well I took it and stripped it. I got 3 working 256Meg memory modules, a working 80 Meg IDE drive, and a working 650 watt power supply. It was like christmas in July.

barbedsaber
July 20th, 2008, 05:44 AM
umm, good for you.

scragar
July 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
that why I love windows users, they're willing to throw away perfectly good computers, just because they can't handle vista.

barbedsaber
July 20th, 2008, 05:57 AM
that why I love windows users, they're willing to throw away perfectly good computers, just because they can't handle vista.

I love vista, because it means that when I got an buy a computer, its over ten times what I need, and will last for many years.

yay for vista.

jay019
July 20th, 2008, 06:11 AM
a working 80 Meg IDE drive

Ooh, any good pr0n on that drive :P

tdrusk
July 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I love vista, because it means that when I got an buy a computer, its over ten times what I need, and will last for many years.

yay for vista.
I love Windows and AVG. Just when I finish fixing a customers windows install and giving them AVG, AVG updates to a RAM sucker, causing a new problem...

|{urse
July 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM
lol most of my favorite pc's were dumpster scores. But yeah viruses are fun too.

sharks
July 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I think Vista is good in one thing.

It makes all our system periperals to work in its full speed and to its full extent.

kahlil88
July 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Today a neighbor threw out a computer because the processor or something on the motherboard died. Well I took it and stripped it. I got 3 working 256Meg memory modules, a working 80 Meg IDE drive, and a working 650 watt power supply. It was like christmas in July.

NICE! There is no shame in garbage picking. I once scored a 333 MHz iMac G3 at a dump. There was condensed water inside the chasse and bird turds on the screen. Took it home, cleaned it up, worked great! It kills me on the inside to think that computers like this wind up in landfills every day.

I love Windows and AVG. Just when I finish fixing a customers windows install and giving them AVG, AVG updates to a RAM sucker, causing a new problem...

Get Avira AntiVir - it doesn't suck up as much RAM and the free version allows you to configure the scheduler to scan for viruses less frequently than EVERY FREAKING DAY!

songshu
July 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM

yay for vista.

i just buy the ones that actually can't handle Vista, more then powerful enough and damn cheap ;)

zmjjmz
July 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
80 Meg IDE drive.

Wow, that's an old computer there.
More RAM than HDD...

afeasfaerw23231233
June 12th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I love garbage picking too. Many years ago I picked a PIII 1G with 256MB RAM Compaq computer. At that time P4 was just announced so it wasn't bad at all!

I also got a free five-botton good mouse, 3com and Intel NIC, good linksys 100mb rouer, working 50m CAT5 cable, coaxial cable, electic cord, a big coil of solder, two power strips and a 10-inch LCD monitor from the dump site. :)

But I think that should be a bad habit for me to scan around the garbage site everytime I walk pass it.

Rufus Cooper
June 12th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I recently picked up an old (Windows 98 ) PC.
He said It would be unrepairable...
I didn't even have to buy any hardware, just formatted the harddrive, installed

:KSUBUNTU:KS

and everything worked just fine.
Now my little sister has got a PC for free.

starcannon
June 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I do this as often as it is available; its great, I get to geek out with some free parts, I then donate the new machines with Ubuntu loaded and working perfectly to a deserving family. I am also currently saving up some vintage parts; I'm working out an AMD K62 era tower for myself; not because its really useful for anything, but my first Linux box was a custom built machine Asus P5 A-B motherboard, AMD K62 350mhz cpu(later upgraded to a 550).

Anyway, I know what you mean, I get excited over tech-left-overs.

The Real Dave
June 12th, 2009, 10:21 AM

I've gotten over 6 computers from my current school, and five from my old one =] =] The IT guy was upgrading the server, and he gave me one of the old ones :lolflag:

Now its gonna replace my DIY server :D (128Mb RAM, 450 Mhz PIII, W2K Pro)

afeasfaerw23231233
June 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
However some people just feel us disgusting for picking old stuff. Such as some of my relatives always tell me not to do so. But everything I picked up from the garbage site has a practical use to me.

Mehall
June 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Whenever I can easily get it back home (no car/driving license, and PCs are damn heavy) I respond to any advert on freecycle offering any PCs.

I need an old laptpo though, and I also need a couple PSUs for the computers lying here.
I have a few things that need to go to the tip, but trust me: none of you will bother lifting anything out of them, already done and dusted ;)