PDA

View Full Version : awk problems

lachild
July 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I had a bit of awk code that I somehow managed to slop together. The code use to work from Dapper on. Unfortunatly in Hardy the same code stoped working.

Here's the code I am using...

echo 'c:\windows\profiles\My Documents\somefile.html' | awk 'BEGIN{ FS="\\" } { for (i=1; i<NF+1; i++){ print
$(i) "\n" } }'

should produce

windows
profiles
My Documents
somefile.html

instead it's producing

c:\windows\profiles\My Documents\somefile.htm

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Lachild

WW
July 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Here's what I get (on gutsy):

$ echo 'c:\windows\profiles\My Documents\somefile.html' | awk 'BEGIN{ FS="\\" } { for (i=1; i<NF+1; i++){ print $(i) "\n" } }'
c:

windows

profiles

My Documents

somefile.html

$

so maybe you want something like this:

$ echo 'c:\windows\profiles\My Documents\somefile.html' | awk 'BEGIN{ FS="\\" } { for (i=2; i<NF+1; i++){ print $(i) } }'
windows
profiles
My Documents
somefile.html
$

ghostdog74
July 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM
# echo 'c:\windows\profiles\My Documents\somefile.html' | awk '1' RS='\'
c:
windows
profiles
My Documents
somefile.html

lachild
July 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Thanks guys all three of our awk programs worked. As it turnes out, the problem I was having was actually with firefox and not awk at all. Firefox cant seem to load the reworked file path Unless there is a SPACE just before the closing (")... For instance, the following does NOT work:

$!/bin/bash

##Set Path
a= "/home/myhome/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/myhome/somesite/index.html"

##Run Firefox
firefox "$a"

Oddly enough this next one DOES work.

$!/bin/bash

##Set Path
a= "/home/myhome/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/myhome/somesite/index.html"

##Run Firefox
firefox "$a "

Thanks again for all your help. If you guys wouldn't have givin me the other two awk codes, I'd have never tracked it down.

lachild
July 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Oh ps.

If your trying to replicate the problem, it only happened when I added the "." for the wine folder. If you take out the period, the path worked fine. Put it back in and Firefox freaks out until you add a space at the end of the file path.

ghostdog74
July 20th, 2008, 04:30 AM
there should not be a space after the variable "a"

a="/home....."

you can also use single quote instead of double quotes

lachild
July 21st, 2008, 01:57 PM
I agree there should NOT be a space after the $a... But if you don't include the space and you are pointing to a hidden directory (like ".wine") it fails to load the URL.

For instance consider the following:

~# firefox "/home/myhome/.wine/drive_c/windows/My Documents/profiles/myhome/some_site/index.html"

This brings up the following URL in FireFox

"file:///home/myhome/Documents/profiles/myhome/some_site/index.html"

Now if you do this:

~# firefox "/home/myhome/.wine/drive_c/windows/My Documents/profiles/myhome/some_site/index.html "

It brings up the URL correctly.

It's the strangest thing I think I've seen in quite a while.. (PS I've only seen this problem in Hardy, I don't know if it's Ubuntu specific or FF3 is at fault)

unutbu
July 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Both of these work for me on a Gutsy system.

bad@math:~% firefox "$HOME/test/.wine/drive_c/windows/My Documents/profiles/myhome/some_site/index.html"
bad@math:~% firefox "$HOME/test/.wine/drive_c/windows/My Documents/profiles/myhome/some_site/index.html "
bad@math:~% firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14, Copyright (c) 1998 - 2008 mozilla.org

/usr/bin/firefox is a script. Please post yours as an attachment. I'll diff it against mine and see if anything interesting pops up.