PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] re: hauppauge PVR 250

the_bear99
July 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have recently installed Ubuntu Hardy on my x86 machine (read linux newbie) and have been trying to get kdetv working with the card. I know the driver seems to be there as VLC >capture from device>pvr shows video but no audio if I use ivtv-tunes to change it to channel 4. But none of my tv software proggies will work, and trying to configure Myth is baffling me (stuck at can't connect to database).

I've searched the archives and read some other people's reports. Some people say mythv is the only one that will work with this card. Others have reported some success.

I'm now ready to roll over and say "Uncle - I give".

Can anyone help, and failing that, what low-end tv tuner card can I buy that will work with kdetv and let me watch and record tv on Ubuntu?

Many thanks
Tom

saedelaere
July 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
I have recently installed Ubuntu Hardy on my x86 machine (read linux newbie) and have been trying to get kdetv working with the card. I know the driver seems to be there as VLC >capture from device>pvr shows video but no audio if I use ivtv-tunes to change it to channel 4. But none of my tv software proggies will work, and trying to configure Myth is baffling me (stuck at can't connect to database).

I've searched the archives and read some other people's reports. Some people say mythv is the only one that will work with this card. Others have reported some success.

I'm now ready to roll over and say "Uncle - I give".

Can anyone help, and failing that, what low-end tv tuner card can I buy that will work with kdetv and let me watch and record tv on Ubuntu?

Many thanks
Tom

Hi,

I'am developing a frontend for ivtv based tv-cards. So before buying something new you should have a look on this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763698)

Best regards
Saedelaere

Porpoise
July 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I was just about to mention that thread. Take a look, saedelaere (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=550398) knows what he's talking about. :-) I gave up on Myth - way over the top for what I wanted to do (watch TV capture analogue video and time-shift TV). Saedelaere's approach is much simpler - and it works!

the_bear99
July 25th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the information Saedelaere
I'm trying to install your program but stuck on the tkimg now. It seems to be involved setting that up. I couldn't find it in synaptic manager. Is there an easy way to do that one?
Thanks
Tom