PDA

View Full Version : Start a small project

TBOL3
July 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hello, I've been learning a bit about programming lately (the style, not the specific syntax of any popular language, unless scheme is popular). So, I figure it's about time to give what I know a spin, by trying out C/C++/something else with similar syntax, because I've seen it, and like it. But rather then just learning arbitrary commands, and putting together pointless little programs, I would like to start a FLOSS project. Probably one that would be small, and something that no one would really need to depend upon. So, a small game probably would be a good candidate.

But here comes the problem, I can't find anywhere a good way to start a good project. I am not looking for helpers (in fact, if for some reason the universe flipped over and anyone actually cared about the project and wanted to help, I really wouldn't want people to do much coding, because I want this to be a good opportunity for me to learn). What I need though, is a good system to build with. What do other FLOSS projects build with. Because, when I download a source tarball, I see one file, but a whole structure. I need to know what's going on, and I really want to mesh with it. Oh, and one last thing, I would like to know what libraries there would be, because with my current knowledge, it would take me forever to build good libraries. (Also, a good IDE would be helpful to).

Thank you for helping me with all of these requests. I'm really sorry for not knowing the answers to what I'm sure are really easy problems.

Edit: Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I couldn't find any proper place in the support threads.

songshu
July 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i never tried any programming (and don't intend to)

but do you mean something like this to get started?

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/screen-shots

http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.5/screenshots.html

Barrucadu
July 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'd pick something simple that you want, and make it. Then when it gets good enough to distribute, you can stick it online somewhere (launchpad?). I'm considering making a MPD client in Python for myself, which I'd eventually stick online somewhere.

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I would reccomend you to use vim and g++ from command line ( that way you'll know what's going on, instead of hiding behind an IDE ). And read a book like :
Thinking in C++ ( it's free and it's good )

Also try to make tetris.

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I'd pick something simple that you want, and make it. Then when it gets good enough to distribute, you can stick it online somewhere (launchpad?). I'm considering making a MPD client in Python for myself, which I'd eventually stick online somewhere.

That would be useful. I have used mpc, and later i have extended it with a python script i made ( cause typing mpc playlist is boring, and also mpc search any this any that any lalala )

Barrucadu
July 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
That would be useful. I have used mpc, and later i have extended it with a python script i made ( cause typing mpc playlist is boring, and also mpc search any this any that any lalala )

There are other clients than just mpc you know :p
Sonata is fairly good.

TBOL3
July 19th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I would reccomend you to use vim and g++ from command line ( that way you'll know what's going on, instead of hiding behind an IDE ). And read a book like :
Thinking in C++ ( it's free and it's good )

Also try to make tetris.

Actually, I've used GEdit, and g++ to make a few SMALL (as in 5-10 commands) programs. But I just thought that it took too much time to click save, then go to my already open terminal, hit enter, then run the file. When I could just click run on an IDE.

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
there is a solution to that but you might not want to hear it 'cause it's boring.

good luck in programming.

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM
There are other clients than just mpc you know :p
Sonata is fairly good.

you call that good, ahhahaha.
i like to use console though.

TBOL3
July 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hay, many people say that programming is boring, so, if you'd be so kind as to give a link...

Also, what is MPC?

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
i'm bored i can't do that, try google.

mpc is a client to mpd. mpd is music player daemon ( wierd audio player )

TBOL3
July 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, I don't blame you. And I would google it. But other then compilers, I have no idea what I'm actually googling for.

Yes
July 20th, 2008, 12:12 AM
So you just want an IDE?

Geany is good - http://geany.uvena.de/. IIRC it's in the repos.