PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the Terminal over the GUI?

kaldor
July 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here uses the terminal on Linux more than they use the GUI?

smartboyathome
July 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here uses the terminal on Linux more than they use the GUI?

I sometimes do. For example, when I am on the arch livecd I use only command line and its apps since it is easier than downloading and installing X and I know how to use the apps. But I use GUI when I have the ability to.

JagDragon
July 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I use the terminal within the GUI a lot for doing installing of apps, launching of apps, programming, and whatnot. I find typing "ls .." is a much faster way of finding out the files within a directory, and "sudo apt-get install audacity" is much faster than going through the Synaptic GUI. Some things are easier on the GUI though (WiFi config, etc)

cdtech
July 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I use my terminal more than GUI. I even have my terminal as my desktop background. :)

kk0sse54
July 19th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I use my terminal more than GUI. I even have my terminal as my desktop background. :)

+1 I had that with my Ubuntu installation and I'll have to do it again in Slackware and like most people will point out sometimes things just go faster when you know exactly what you want to do and only have to type in a command instead of navigating through menus and options to try to find what you are looking for.

kaldor
July 19th, 2008, 06:42 PM
How could I put the terminal as background? Looks cool =Þ

dizee
July 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM
i do use it quite a bit. when i first started using linux i was a bit scared of it but once you get used to it, it can be so much faster to use. i use it a lot for file management stuff (ls, rm, mv etc...), text editing config files (nano), and installing (apt-cache search, apt-get). i wouldn't say i use it more than the gui, it's probably about 65-35 in favour of gui. there are certain things i prefer the gui for anyway, like music playing and net browsing (though elinks is cool).

chucky chuckaluck
July 19th, 2008, 06:53 PM
it depends. i usually use what is easiest for me. sometimes that's a gui, sometimes it's the terminal. although i'm playing around with quodlibet at the moment, i'll probably just go back to cplay once the novelty wears off. browsing with a text browser seems unnecessarily spartan to me. for managing files, i switch between using the terminal and using thunar. for images and video, i'll use feh and mplayer.

LaRoza
July 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
No, we all use the GUI and the terminal is just there for looks ;)

T

BwackNinja
July 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Like others, I use the terminal (within the gui) whenever it is more convenient than a similar gui interface.

I've messed around outside of X and I've found that I can pretty much do everything anyway without a GUI, but stuff is less convenient (and less pretty :P)

Chame_Wizard
July 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Use the terminal for almost everything(only the import ants things:lolflag:

cdtech
July 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
How could I put the terminal as background? Looks cool =Þ

I use devilspie with the terminal. I can't live without it now....:)

tubezninja
July 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
For desktops, I use the GUI, but frequently use the terminal to do certain things.

For my servers, it's all terminal :)

antirem
July 19th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I use terminal a lot while using gui, for my server tho its terminal and web interface.

markp1989
July 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I use the Terminal to install apps, because its easier, and faster then searching through synaptic for it.

My Torrent Slave is 100% CLI

NikoC
July 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Strongly depends at which pc I'm at:
- laptop at home: about fifty fifty
- at work I have 2 old desktops running as a samba and an apache server, both of them I manage via SSH, so that's terminal all the time...

dracule
July 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
webbrowsing is a bitch w/o gui

mrgnash
July 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Since I'm working in Vim most of the time, I'd have to say that I use the terminal more than the GUI.

hessiess
July 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
depends what im trying to do.

YaroMan86
July 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I use the plain non-GUI terminals TTY1 through TTY6 a great deal.

In fact, I'll frequently turn GDM off as a service so that X will only run when I explicitly tell it to:

sudo gdm && exit

The trick to terminal usage is screen. Yes, you can run six apps without it, but screen allows for a lot of heavy usage. And if you're like me, you'll be connecting to over 8 MU*s with TinyFugue, Finch, Lynx, mpg123-alsa. and leave an open shell ready for me to do system commands when needed.

ON TOP OF THIS... Whenever I have access to a machine away from home, I carry an SD card with PuTTY on it and tunnel into my home machine all the time. And since SSH tunneling is hard to do with Windows/slow when used with Windows... I make heavy use of my TTYs remotely.

If I'm lucky enough, however, to be using a good Linux computer, I'll X Forward to my location.

oldsoundguy
July 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
about 50-50 between terminal and synaptic. Items that come from third party sources DO require the usage of terminal (the Firefox 3 install and upgrading in Gutsy as an example!)

But most of the work in terminal is cut and paste now. Seldom write anything but the access to xorg now and then.

Sasa_Ivanovic
July 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
wahahah does anyone uses the terminal, the right question is: "does anyone uses the gui?" ( except n00bs )

( no offense it's a joke )

JagDragon
July 20th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I use whatever is fastest, easiest, and gets the job done the quickest. In most cases, this is the terminal, but in some cases (File management namely) a GUI interface is invaluable.

Tomosaur
July 20th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I use the terminal quite a lot, especially for updating software (I don't like having type my password in the GUI then wait for the damn updater to load, much quicker in the terminal), although I don't 'have' to use it on Hardy for anything really. I just find it a lot quicker and more convenient than using the GUI for many day to day operations.

I have come to the realisation, however, that if Nautilus was a multi-tabbed file browser, I wouldn't use the terminal so often. I often have several tabs open in the terminal if I'm doing normal 'housekeeping' kind of stuff like renaming files, moving files around etc. I know I could just use a different file browser, but I use Gnome, and Nautilus is so integrated into the DE that I just prefer to use the terminal.

diffuze
July 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I use the terminal for all "simple" tasks. Move, copy, unpack, pack, symlink, compile and so on. It's an old habit.
For installing from the repos it's 50/50 I'd say. Sometimes GUI sometimes terminal.

el_ricardo
July 20th, 2008, 04:09 PM

how did you do that? is it a conky configuration? if so can you post your conky.rc??? I'd very much like that on my desktop

Lazarus500
July 21st, 2008, 04:24 AM
If you find youself using the terminal a lot, you might consider trying Debian. Basically, Ubuntu is a gui'd up Debian.

Lord Xeb
July 21st, 2008, 04:45 AM
I would use the terminal if I knew most of the commands... :/

tuxxy
July 21st, 2008, 04:46 AM
Terminal is quicker and can be more specific :)

RiceMonster
July 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM
I use them about the same.

It's like this MOST of the time:
GUI for everyday tasks
Terminal for administration and configuration

adamogardner
July 21st, 2008, 04:54 AM
el ricardo, Hi, here is the link you want to put your terminal on the desktop: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202249

thisllub
July 21st, 2008, 01:41 PM
I would use the terminal if I knew most of the commands... :/

Learning the shell is vital.
The default terminal has to be configured properly so that the Ctrl and Alt key combinations work properly.

The history functions save a huge amount of time especially Ctrl-R

It doesn't hurt to learn how to use find, grep and awk and being able to write scripts is like bolting on a turbocharger.

I use the Openbox gui and a couple of terminal windows.

Diabolis
July 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I try to use the terminal as much as I can. If I don't know how to do it with a command, then I use the GUI.

Thats is one of the reasons I use Fluxbox, it allows me to set a key short cut for everything I want (resizing windows, moving through windows, starting apps) so I keep the use of my mouse to the minimum and that is comfortable.

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I use the terminal for package management, downloading, writing, monitoring, and a couple other things. I use the GUI for browsing, media playing, spreadsheets, and chess.

For all GUI users who need an easier way to launch apps, check out dmenu. I discovered it when I used dwm, and now I can't live without it. It's in the repos. Install it and make a script with the following:
#!/bin/sh
$(dmenu_path | dmenu -fn '-*-terminus-*-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*' -nb '#000000' -nf '#FFFFFF' -sb '#0066ff')

Bind the script to your preferred key combo, and enjoy!

Diabolis
July 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I just installed dmenu and is just what I needed. It avoids me the hassle of configuring the .menu file in fluxbox. This app :guitar:

cardinals_fan
July 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I just installed dmenu and is just what I needed. It avoids me the hassle of configuring the .menu file in fluxbox. This app :guitar:
Great, isn't it?

jimmywu013
July 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
When I'm on my computer, I usually have two windows open all the time - Firefox and tilda terminal. Because aside from surfing the net, I use the terminal for just about everything else.

billgoldberg
July 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM

No.

I use the terminal a lot, but a OS for daily use without an gui would suck.

Diabolis
July 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Also, the terminal looks cooler:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/2707637070_f893a83424_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/silvag/2707637070/)

fedex1993
July 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
a little bit of both. I love using the terminal instead of a gui it just seems funner and more exciting.