PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing stopped working in Ubuntu 8.04

hotdogger_khe
July 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I just noticed that my computer can no longer print from ubuntu. What I find very odd about this is if I open up virtual box and load my completely virtual xp drive, printing works fine....Shouldn't the printer be being accessed through ubuntu??

When i try to print in ubuntu it shows an exclamation mark on the printer icon and gives me the error message that the printer has stopped.

I have had this printer working for a good month now with no issues, and haven't changed anything that I am aware of before it stopped working. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

ajgreeny
July 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I can't see why it should happen, but perhaps worth switching it off, uninstalling the printer in System>>Administration>>Printing and then reinstalling it again, though it may be found automatically after uninstalling and switching it on.

hotdogger_khe
July 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. Apparently all I had to do was reboot???? unplugging the printer is a rather difficult task so I opted to try a simple reboot and all is well. Although, I find it interesting that the printer stopped working in the first place.

smilingfrog
September 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I am having the same problem here. I also find that the printer works through virtual box, and stops in Ubuntu until a reboot. Any ideas how to reboot the printer without having to bring the entire machine down?

tgalati4
September 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
You can try to restart the CUPS printing system:

>sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

CUPS is sensitive to the kernel that you are using so updating the kernel can sometimes cause breakage.