PDA

View Full Version : Which OS do most software companies work with?

RavUn
July 19th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I used Windows my whole life and thought I knew a pretty decent amount about it. Now, I've been on Ubuntu for nearly a year and it seems like I only knew how to surf the internet on Windows. I like everything about Ubuntu and being able to configure every little thing.

I am majoring in software engineering and I'd like to pursue a career in networking, security or software design. I was wondering if it matters which OS I'm more familiar with or is it more important to just know the specifics of software or networking or security? Things seem "easier" to configure in Windows but I feel like I control exactly what I want in Linux.

zmjjmz
July 19th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Depends on the language.

gila_monster
July 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
What zmjjmz says is true. It also depends very greatly on what kind of SW you will be developing. I work mainly with aviation SW (real-time and safety-critical). Over the course of a day, I will work with Windows, embedded Linux, desktop Linux, and Sun Solaris. If I happen to be working with some of the older programs (written in PLM, of all things), I'll also end up using DOS 6.x and 5.x.

We're expected to maintain our own lab configuration, so I get to play with networking a bit as well.

All learning is good learning, of course.